Sunday, July 29, 2012

Around The Garden

So I took Beth’s advice and asked the dozen or so gnomes scattered around the garden to do a rain dance. And it worked! The rain came down and all is all with my world. Thank you, Beth.

The plants sighed with relief, and later that day, there was a celebration going on in my garden. Drinking, dancing and lots of frolicking. Don’t you just love the word ‘frolicking’? It sounds like a dirty word, doesn’t it?

Join me on another garden tour. After we’re done, we’ll have our own party to celebrate the rainfall. There will be coffee and tea and juice and cakes and cookies and pies and every calorie-packed sweet you can imagine!

Now, off we go...


Rudbeckia maxima really struggled with the drought, but it managed to hold onto its glorious flowers. A true champion in the garden.




This is Helenium 'Ruby Tuesday' with its cute button-like flowers. I always think of the band the Rolling Stones when I see this plant. (Think about it; it’ll come to you.)




Despite the fact that Eupatorium ‘Phantom’, dwarf Joe-Pye weed, likes moisture, it handled the drought rather well. This plant is ridiculously easy to grow making it one of my favourites.



Agastache ‘Blue Fortune’ didn’t bat an eye while it waited for rain, and it continues to look gloriously beautiful. There are always little critters hanging around it.




These pretty blooms belong to Rudbeckia hirta 'Toto Rustic'.




I got a pleasant surprise by Clematis 'Rhapsody' when it decided to bloom again.




This is the flower of a nasturtium that I planted last year, and although it’s quite lovely, that’s not the reason it has left me in awe. Nasturtiums are supposed to be annuals, but this plant grew back this spring after surviving our winter. Amazing.



Phlox paniculata ‘David’ is just getting started, but looking real good already.



The star of this week’s show is Lilium 'Star Gazer'. The blooms are huge and spectacular.




It’s been awhile since Platycodon grandiflorus ‘Fuji Blue’ went into bloom, and it’s still going strong.



Hydrangea macrophylla 'Paris Rapa' decided to jump on the flower-power bandwagon and show the world what it can do.



Hydrangea macrophylla 'Forever & Ever Peppermint' is also on a roll.




The white coneflowers didn’t suffer too much with the drought.



And neither did the purple ones.




I caught one purple coneflower getting quite chummy with a daylily. They’re obviously ‘frolicking’ while no one is looking. [snort]



And finally, there’s Rudbeckia hirta 'Indian Summer'. I wasn’t sure if this plant would return this summer, but it did. So there you go.



That’s it for this week’s garden stroll. Now, let go stuff our faces with some goodies!

16 comments:

  1. All photographed beautifully. I particularly like the Star Gazer - it's very exotic looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favourite lilies. It grows quite large, which makes it that much more beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I love,love,love hydrangeas! Your garden looks lovely, thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katharine. I'm so glad you could join us :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha,
    Which is best, your gardening skills or your photography skills? So hard to decide!!
    I love all these flowers in your garden, but sometimes the names just blow me away too! STARGAZER, what a great name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sweet, Kay. The best part is combining my love for photography with my love for my garden. Win-win!

      Isn't that a great name? I love it, too.

      Delete
  4. I truly appreciated the purple coneflower stroking lovingly the day lily as they frolicked together. Thank you for the garden tour today along with our own party afterwards. The pie was delicious along with my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And isn't it wonderful how no one gains an ounce with these treats? 'Virtually' calorie-free :)

      Delete
  5. Haha...so glad your gnomes came through for you, Martha! I need to get my gnomes dancing, too...it's mighty dry here in the North Carolina mountains.

    Your flowers are stunningly beautiful and your photography is exquisite...thank you for the tour. I really love those stargazer lilies and the blue clematis. And may I say...your culinary skills are also superb---the cake and pie were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure did, Beth. It was quite a rain dance, too. My neighbours will be gossiping about it for ages.

      In the virtual world we are all world class chefs, don't you think? Hehehehe...

      Delete
  6. WOW! What a 'show' Martha!! I LOVE the clematis and the white Coneflower which looks like a 'pinwheel'! So good that you finally got some rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for some rain, but I'm hoping for more. We're back to dry, hot weather, so I need to get those gnomes doing that rain dance again :)

      Delete
  7. What a frolicking good time...such joy in your garden and the rain dance was all that was needed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. It sure was. Those gnomes can be quite handy.

      Delete
  8. Glad you finally got rain - it's such a relief after a dry spell. Your garden doesn't seem to have suffered though - I expect you are a dedicated waterer and very observant to your little darlings needs :) Everything is stunning, especially the phlox and hydrangea - two plants I love. That shot of your white coneflower is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we're right back to dry, hot weather. There is a chance of rain this week and I hope it comes through!

      I did try hard to satisfy the thirst of the plants in my garden, but not all of them did well. There are a few that I truly believe are not going to make it. It's just been too hard on them.

      Delete