Monday, July 30, 2012

Kingston’s Buskers Rendezvous 2012

Okay, so first, this is a post about an old festival. Not old old, like ancient old, but significantly old enough to be worth mentioning on this blog. But what I really mean by old is that our attendance to it is old; this happened two weeks ago, not this past weekend or very recently. Are you with me so far? Of course you aren’t.

Let me try again...

About two weeks ago, my husband and I took my two girls, and a friend of my younger daughter’s, to Kingston’s Buskers Rendezvous festival. This is an annual event that occurs every summer. It began as an entertaining addition to the city’s downtown ‘July Sidewalk Sale’ (another highly-anticipated yearly event) and has now become known as one of the top festivals of its kind in Canada. This year was the 24th edition, so that’s what I mean by it being significantly old. 24 years running is quite a long time, don’t you think?

And what is this festival, you ask? It’s all about buskers. And what are buskers? Buskers are street performers that entertain audiences in public areas for voluntary donations.

Like these two brothers:



The festival is a mixture of buskers, some of them new and some of them returning. And what do they do? They juggle, they dance, they sing, they do magic tricks, they put on plays, they do fire shows, and on and on.



This festival goes on for four days and the performers are from all over; some are local and some come from very far away. Take for example these handsome young men that this post is about who have arrived all the way from Australia! I liked them just for that fact. And contemplated how I could squeeze myself into their suitcase, so they can take me home to the land down under. The land that is on my top-places-to-visit-before-I-die list.



We stopped to watch this act, which is fittingly named ‘The Circus Firemen’. They were last year’s Peoples' Choice winners, which gave them an automatic invitation back this year. I’m not surprised that people like them so much; they are very entertaining, and quite charismatic. And if we’re going to be honest, adorable, too.



This is Idris Stanton who goes by the stage name of ‘Matilda’. He interacts quite a bit with the audience, and he is very sociable and amusing.



This is Joshua Phillips who goes by the stage name of ‘Angus’. He’s a little less gregarious, but certainly no less entertaining.



These boys perform a 40 – 50 minute show that includes acrobatics, juggling, wobbly balancing on 10 foot ladders and lots of comedy.



Cute, endearing and clearly talented – what’s there not to love about these two siblings that have been performing together for 10 years, and have delighted audiences in their hometown and around the world?



These young men, along with many other buskers performed for four days downtown for free. They brought a smile to the faces in my beautiful city. Including my own.



How do they earn a living? By “passing the hat”. So, if you enjoy their performance, consider contributing something to let them know. It’s up to you how much.



For a small city, Kingston is loaded with regular events and festivities. You gotta love it here.

22 comments:

  1. That looks like fun! And I was wondering when something on fire was going to make an appearance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! And there were so many shows to choose from.

      Delete
  2. You're so lucky to live in such a wonderful city.There seems to be more going on there in an average week, than my little corner gets all year. Jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an amazing place. When I first moved here 3 years ago, I never expected to find such a lively place because it's small. But surprise!

      Delete
  3. Very cool - or should I say, smoking hot :) This definitely would have been a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those two are yummy!
    m.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4i5h_vXt8M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are. That was a great YouTube link. And there are a few other ones, too.

      Delete
  5. Am I the only one who wishes they would take off their clothes? I guess it would no longer family entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. You are the only one who said it out loud. [snort]

      Delete
  6. A busker's festival is such a cool idea! We have a lot of buskers in Asheville, NC, but some of them, I'm afraid, aren't very good. Of course, people still throw them money if they're cute. These two brothers would do very well, I'm sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no doubt that they did great. They are talented -- and adorable. Win-win ;)

      Delete
  7. I'm curious on how you got up so high to take their pictures on the ladders and also get the background of Confederation Park?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted myself at the top of the stairs at City Hall. It was the perfect spot to take photos from!

      Delete
  8. What adorable youg men! I think there was going to be a Busker festival in St. Catharines for the second year but I think it was cancelled - not enough $. How wonderful that this old tradition lives on in Kingston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's too bad, Francie. Next year is the 25th anniversary for this event in Kingston, so I expect it will be amazing!

      Delete
  9. ok Martha, I have to be honest with you. All I could see was CUTE GUYS in FIREFIGHTER UNIFORMS. Everything else is a blur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Ana! Hehehehe... :)

      Delete
  10. This reminds me of the performers at the Renaissance fairs. They too do that for a living and live off of tips. You would truly have to love what you do. That is a lot of hard work for little pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it is, but since they've been doing it for so long, it must be paying off for these two. Still. It's a tough job.

      Delete
  11. What a good time you had there Martha and your photos reflect this! Our /'buskers' are in a couple of weeks and you just gave me a great idea....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure to take photos if you attend, so you can share them with us. I'm curious to see if these boys will be performing there!

      Delete