Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Lemoine Point Conservation Area (The Woods)

We just wrapped up a very busy week. Yesterday was my younger daughter’s 15th birthday. Exactly one week before that was my older daughter’s 20th birthday. And my wedding anniversary. The day after the 20th birthday and the anniversary was the adoption of Dany, the sweet cat that I wrote about last week (I’ll be sharing more photos of her soon). Friday evening, my daughter’s best friend came to stay with us for a few days because her parents were on a much needed camping trip now that her mom is in remission after her battle with cancer (you can read all about her experience on her blog). And Sunday morning, my brother and sister-in-law came down for an overnight visit. On Canada Day.

It’s been busy and crazy and loud. There have been cakes and dinners, and doors opening and closing, and lots of people, pEoPLe, PeOpLe and pets, pEtS, PeTs, and noise, nOiSe NoIsE! And hubby and I, both being introverts and all, had to find a way to recharge our batteries somewhere in there in a quiet, qUiEt, QuIeT location...or...else...go...absolutely...positively...mad, mAd, MAD!

So, Monday afternoon, long after the out of town guests had left, we ran away from home, literally. We considered heading for the airport, but since minors are involved, we (grudgingly) decided instead to head over to Lemoine Point Conservation Area; a recreational area bordered by Lake Ontario and Collins Bay. It is 136 hectares of forest, field and marsh, with a spectacular waterfront. A great place to relax, get a glimpse of wildlife, take photographs and --- most important of all --- HIDE! No matter how hard they tried, ‘they’ couldn’t find us.

Below are some photos of our blessed, peaceful outing in yet another beautiful section of Kingston. Because there is so much to see, I divided this conservation area into two posts. Today it’s all about the woods; tomorrow I’ll share photos of the waterfront.

Let’s get started...

There are many trails to follow, most of which are quite flat and easy to stroll along on. Several of them are wide and smooth enough to be wheelchair accessible.






Along the way there are several benches to rest and meditate on.


And picnic tables to have a bite on while you enjoy the sights and sounds of nature.


As you stroll along, you’ll catch glimpses of male cardinals...



...and females.


There are plenty of grey squirrels...


...and black squirrels...


...and squirrels carrying out their squirrely antics.


Of course, a nature walk is never complete without my favourite little critters...chipmunks.


The squirrels and chipmunks are awfully friendly in this area. Many of the individuals walking through feed them, so they’ve come to appreciate seeing people.


There are fallen trees...


...and cut trees...


...and logs...


...and trees with holes made from woodpeckers.


There are quaint objects along the way...


...as well as pretty flowers...



...that attract the tiniest, most precious creatures.


But the best part of the whole walk through this glorious place is getting to share it with the love of your life...


Believe it or not, this was our first visit to Lemoine Point. We had no idea that it was this vast and beautiful. We went to check it out because one of the students in my photography class recommended it. It certainly won’t be our last visit.

Come back tomorrow for a glimpse of the waterfront...

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs! This Class you speak of is paying off. Unless of course you are the Teacher. You know I'm new here so excuse my ignorance.
    And what, you tried to lose the kids in the Forest? You're like Hanzel an Gretyl's Stepmother!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahahaha...no, we didn't try to lose the kids in the forest. We left them safe and sound at home (they're old enough for that), and ran away (just hubby and I).

      And I was a student at a photography course, which I took recently. It has really helped me appreciate and understand the DSLR camera I got just a few months ago. I just need to practice, practice, practice!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a fantastic spot! Now that you've discovered it, I predict you'll be regular visitors :) Your itinerary over the past week exhausted me just reading about it! Sometimes it feels like everything's happening at once - and that's because it is, lol! Those squirrels look like real bruisers. I much prefer the chipmunk myself - they are the more refined looking of the two :) Great shots of everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an exhausting period, but it was a lot of fun -- sometimes...LOL... This outing really did us some good.

      The chipmunks are my favourites, too; they are so cute!

      Delete
  3. Lemoine Point looks wonderful -- I love walking in the woods like that! So peaceful, nothing but the sound of the breeze and birds and the scent of the trees. Ahhhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, my favourite thing to do, too. So quiet, so peaceful. It's a wonderful way to relax and just be.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, Martha, what a beautiful place! I find myself wishing I could walk right into your photos down all those lovely forest paths. It looks so cool and inviting. And your photos are wonderful. I really love the one of the silly squirrels. I look forward to seeing those of the waterfront.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful place. I can't believe it took us so long to get to it. Now that we've found it, I imagine we'll keep going back. It's so close to our home, just a few minutes away, so it'll be a perfect spot to escape to when we need some quiet time.

      Delete
  5. What a fantatic getaway spot. Would love to find something like that around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place to run away to and hide from the world...LOL...

      Delete
  6. You have certainly had a busy time of it lately. But now you have found a perfect retreat where you can go and recharge your batteries. It's beautiful - you're so lucky to live in a place with so many beauty spots. I love the cheeky chipmunk as well. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was insane for awhile, but things are pretty much back to normal. We needed this outing; our batteries were totally depleted!

      Delete
  7. I love this place, I want to go too!
    Looks like you are having great fun with that camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you visit Kingston, Kay, we will go together! Just come on up here!

      Delete