Thursday, July 5, 2012

Lemoine Point Conservation Area (The Waterfront)

So things are quiet at home once again. Everyone has gone back to their respective homes and we’re slowly getting back to our normal routine. My husband and I are creatures of habit, and we become a little unbalanced when our quiet and consistent days spin out of control and there’s an overwhelming amount of stimuli surrounding us. Our lives are probably about as exciting as watching paint dry to extroverts like my brother who would go insane if he spent his days the way we do. But we make no apologies. We are both introverts and we like it this way.

Anyway, enough rambling. You’re not here for that. You’re here because I invited you in yesterday’s post to return today for a glimpse of the waterfront area of the Lemoine Point Conservation Area. So let’s get to it...


There is 2.5 kilometers (1.6 miles) of shoreline in the area, which I obviously won’t show in its entirety in this post, but you’ll get a glimpse of how pretty it is.

I don’t know what it is about oceans, rivers, lakes, or any other body of water, but I feel an intense sense of serenity when I’m near it. I’m drawn to these areas like a fish, and seek them out as often as possible.




Do you see the little island straight ahead? There are days when I want to be on a place like that. Away from it all. Alone. Well, I'd probably take my husband with me.



There are homes running along one area of this waterfront. They must cost a small fortune.




As I’ve written before, Kingston is surrounded by water and Kingstonians take full advantage of that fact.




I’m not into these types of activities personally, but I do like watching others enjoying them.




As we walked along, we bumped into many duck families.



Of course, I had to get closer and take photos. I must have snapped close to a gazillion, but don’t be afraid, I’ll only share a few.




Look how many kids this mama duck has. How does she keep track of all of them? How does she stay sane? [snort]



And she looks so good for such a busy mama. I have only two kids and it doesn’t take me long to become unraveled.



One of her babies was very curious and inched its way closer to us. Isn’t this little one the sweetest, cutest thing? Don’t you just want to kiss the top of its head? [squeal]



Mama duck was not pleased. She kept a very close eye on me as I moved closer to her baby with my camera. “One wrong move, camera lady, and you’re fish bait.”



Most of the trails are elevated, and you can see the lake from up above, but there are stairs along the way that give you an opportunity to get down to the shoreline.



Obviously we went down a few times to take a closer look.





And every single shoreline offers a spectacular view...




...opportunities for interesting photos...





...and quiet retreats where you can kick back, relax...



...and be thankful for glorious days such as this one.


If you ever find yourself in Kingston, and you love nature, make sure to stop in at Lemoine Point Conservation Area. It is well worth the visit. I'll even join you if you'd like.

22 comments:

  1. Fabulous shots Martha - some of these look like they'd make good postcards :) Mrs. Duck certainly has her hands full, she looks mighty proud of her little family! I'm like that after a visit from friends or family - nice to see you but nice to see you go, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...yes, when it's time to go, it's time to go. I do enjoy the company of the people I care about, but I also need some time alone.

      Mrs. Duck does look very proud of her little ones. It actually looks like she's smiling.

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely.. so relaxing.. great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hena. I had a nice time taking these photos. Great place for that.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful and cool looking! Love the ducks! I want to jump in the lake, we are broiling here in Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over and jump right in. We are surrounded by all this cool water, and although it's warm, I don't think it's as warm as where you are.

      Delete
  4. If only I could be in Kingston! That's a lovely stretch of shoreline, Martha. Beautiful photographs - little duck families fascinate me, I always worry when there's one straggling behind. But those mama ducks usually notice and come to the rescue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about the litte ones, too, but it does seem that mama duck keeps a close eye on them. They are so adorable. I just want to squeeeeeze one.

      Delete
  5. You're right, those view are spectacular! Thanks for that tour! And although those homes are gorgeous, they are monstrous and shoved right up against the other.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are shoved right up against each other. I guess the builders squeeze in as many as they can.

      Delete
  6. That looks like a great lake for swimming. Such a lovely area!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that feeling very well. I am okay with immediate family, but when it is a whole bunch of people I am itching to get away as soon as possible! I would love to visit the place sometime. The whole place seems very serene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very serene. Perfect place to go to when you're a little stressed.

      Delete
  8. So glad you have your serene, quiet life back, Martha...I can so relate. And, golly, what beautiful shots those are! You'll have to take me there when I come up. :-) It sure is pretty. And it looks so cool and refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy that things are back to normal. I do enjoy the company, but I also need that quiet time. My battery gets really depleted with so much activity. I would love to take you around, Beth! Just get here!

      Delete
  9. It is so beutiful there. The pictures of turtle Island reminded me of the Thunder Bay area - so rugged looking. But I also could picture myself living in one of those houses on the water! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could picture a home on the water, too, but one that is slightly more isolated. That would be the best!

      Delete
  10. Some really nice shots, Martha! I like the ones of the water framed at the top by tree leaves -- great composition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I am having a good time out there with my camera. So glad I got it!

      Delete
  11. Wonderful pictures, beautiful views, and nice tag lines. Oh, to be relaxing by the water right this minute. Thanks for sharing. - Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being near the water is always my favourite place to be. Thanks for visiting my blog, Suz. Stop by any time!

      Delete