Sunday, July 8, 2012

Strolling Through The Garden

Good morning, everyone. I hope you’re all having a good weekend so far. Mine has been quite busy. Why don’t you come along with me for a stroll through the garden and I’ll tell you all about it.



So yesterday afternoon, I met up with the Kingston Photography group for the first time for a photoshoot at an abandoned motel about a half hour away. There were eight of us that attended; two group members were students in the photography course I took recently, so at least I know a couple of people.



Sherrill, one of my fellow students, drove down with me. We live fairly close to each other and decided that it made more sense to travel together.



She’s also considering taking the photography course that is being offered in the fall, so we might be in the same classroom again. In any case, we’ll probably go on a few photoshoots together around town now that we’re in this Meetup.com group.



Anyhow, so we got there around 2 PM, introduced ourselves to the others, the others introduced themselves to us, and then we all went our separate ways to take lots and lots of photos. I will post some of them on my blog when I get a chance to go through them and edit the ones I want to share to a normal size.

Notice my handy helper to the left?


We were there for about an hour and aside from melting in the heat, the mosquitoes ate me alive. I’m so itchy this morning that I’m trying to convince my cats to use me as a scratching post to ease some of my suffering. No luck, so far.



Sherrill and I discussed later on as we drove home that photography is truly a solitary activity. We meet up with a bunch of other people, but then go off and do our own thing. This is the first time we attended an outing with this group, so I’m not sure if they socialize beyond that. I’m hoping they do. Going for a coffee after a photoshoot, or some such thing, would be ideal. Anyway, we’ll see. I’m actually considering starting up my own group, but I’m not sure yet what kind of group to start up. I’ll have to think about this.



After this photoshoot, I was so pumped up with camera-snapping energy that I headed out to my garden to take more photos (not the ones on this post; others). Then after supper, I dragged the family downtown for ice cream and a leisurely stroll where I ended up taking even more photos. I have pictures coming out of my ears. I haven’t even had time to unload my camera yet so see what’s in there.



All in all, it was a great day, and I got in a lot of camera practice. Today it’s gorgeous outside, and I’m thinking of dragging my husband to a neighbouring town where we can enjoy the outdoors – and where I can take even more pictures. Winters are very long in Canada, so we may as well get out there while we can.



Well, I guess that’s it for the garden stroll. I’m glad you were able to join me. And that you patiently listened while I blabbed in your ear. And if there are any flowers that you are curious about, just go ahead and ask. I’d be happy to share



I wish you all a lovely Sunday.

16 comments:

  1. This was great! Your flowers are gorgeous! I zeroed in on that rose....peachy rose coloured one. I think we had that one in the past....I loved it.
    Is this the same Martha I met a while back and is considering to form her own group? It is so good to see another one get bitten by that 'photography bug'!! When we have something in common, things can be very focused (no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been bitten (severely) by the photography bug. I can't get enough of it. I 'see' potential images everywhere now. And I almost never leave home without my camera. You just never know when you'll need it.

      Delete
  2. I am really noticing how much richer the colour in your pics is Martha - so saturated and lush! A couple of these flowers are very exotic looking. Glad to hear your first meeting went well - I think it'd be great to start up your own group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. The camera can't do all the work alone. You have to make the images go POW in your photo editor. You probably already know that, but I will write something about that at some point. This time of year is harder to put detailed blog posts together. But come winter, there is plenty of time as we're stuck indoors!

      Delete
  3. Your own group? Brilliant! Even I would join you if I lived there - you could call it Photography for Introverts! I think these photos are fantastic, Martha. I agree with Jane, they seem so deep and rich with colour - more intimate almost. I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that - Photography for Introverts! Hahaha... Well, I don't think it'll be a photography group since theer already is one, but not sure what I'd like to start. I have quite a few interests, but I'll have to think about which one I'd like to share with others.

      Delete
  4. Hi Martha...I'm Jim's from Ocean Breezes doggy and yes I have a blog. My other Dad Ron helps me with the keyboard stuff....love your flower pics. They are so crystal clear...sometimes Ron blurs his photos...he says on purpose...yeah right! Thought I'd join your world because I have a lovely garden to stroll around in. It's a naturalized garden after years of TLC!!
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie, how wonderful to see you here! And you have your own blog, too? You smart, girl, you. You must be the envy of the canine world. I will have to check out your blog. It's probably a lot of fun since you're such a fun girl from what your dad says. I hope you come around and visit whenever you're not out running around and having fun.

      Delete
  5. Your photos are really remarkable, they would make stunning greeting cards. Keep sharing your gorgeous work with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! That is very sweet. I'm not quite there yet, but I so appreciate you saying something so nice. I still have a lot to learn, but eager to do so.

      Delete
  6. Martha, the garden photos are stunning, but I can hardly wait for the photographs of the abandoned motel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed taking photos at that motel. One of my favourite photography themes is urban decay, and there was quite a bit of that there. I just finished editing my photos last night. I will sort through them and see what is worth sharing. I should get to that fairly soon.

      Delete
  7. Photography -- the perfect hobby for an introvert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martha, your photos are absolutely beautiful. I really enjoyed that stroll. It's a pleasure to see you so excited by photography.

    Wait a minute...wasn't there coffee last week after our stroll? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...yes, there was coffee last time. But there's no need to bring it up each time. It's a given that coffee is served after the garden stroll. Can't get the day off to a good start without it!

      Delete