Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Most Amazing Micro Sculptures

“It began when I was five years old,” says Willard Wigan. “I started making houses for ants because I thought they needed somewhere to live. Then I made them shoes and hats. It was a fantasy world I escaped to. That’s how my career as a micro-sculptor began.”

Every now and then I run across some amazingly talented individuals whose creations boggle the mind. Willard Wigan is one of those people. His micro sculptures are so tiny that you can only see them through a microscope.

Here are a few examples of his work:



His sculptures are typically placed in the eye of a needle or on the head of a pin. A single sculpture can be as small as 0.005 mm (0.0002 in).



When he sculpts, he enters a meditative state in which his heartbeat is slowed; this helps reduce hand tremors. He works on his sculptures between pulse beats.



Unsurprisingly, Willard’s artwork has been described by many as “the eighth wonder of the world”.

No kidding.



Visit his website here.

20 comments:

  1. Now that's being a true "ARTIST"!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astounding! I love his morbid sense of humour. 20 million is an impressive figure - I expect his overhead is very low -considering he paints with houefly hairs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen anything quite like this. He's so amazingly talented.

      Delete
  3. I like miniatures, but this takes it to the nth degree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...that is just astonishing. I had to laugh at what he said about Alice in Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is one of a kind. And he has a good sense of humour, too.

      Delete
  5. Unbelievable that someone can produce such teeny artwork. His work is amazing. I am quite obsessed with miniatures of all things, but this is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is truly outstanding. He is incredibly patient to be producing work like this.

      Delete
  6. I have seen him before on a documentary. Absolutely fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered him recently, and I was truly shocked at his talent.

      Delete
  7. Itsy bitsy teeny weeny nannosculpture art, now there's a new category for etsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...yes, itsty bitsy teeny weeny...that's his work!

      Delete
  8. I am thinking he must have very good eyesight. Amazing, simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martha, this is insane! I an hardly thread a needle ;-) These sculptures are amazing. The one of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves is divine with the evil step mother on the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...yes, I can hardly thread a needle, as well. I am stunned by this man's work. Definitely out of the ordinary.

      Delete