Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tune Time – Sugar, Sugar

This 1969 pop song, written by Jeff Barry and Andy Kim, was a four-week #1 hit single by fictional characters 'The Archies'. When the song was initially released, promotion men played it for radio station execs without telling them the name of the group (due to the somewhat-disappointing chart success of the Archies' previous single, "Bang-Shang-a-Lang," which went to #22 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts). Only after most of the DJs liked the song were they told that it was performed by a cartoon group. The Archies’ hit wound up as one of the biggest (and most unexpected) #1 hits of the year, one of the biggest bubblegum hits of all time, both in America and in Great Britain, thanks partly to association with the hit CBS-TV Saturday morning cartoon series.

(Information above from Wikipedia:)

Pretty cool story behind this song. I never knew this until recently.


6 comments:

  1. Oh Gawd, I remember singing along with this song. I liked Bang-shang-a-lang too. The Archies as a concept kinda sucked, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember singing along to this one, too, with friends. I still enjoy listening to it now and then, but only for so long. After awhile it gets annoying!

      Delete
  2. Hey Martha
    I remember this song very well, one of those that gets in your head and is hard to get rid of. By the way, did you love the Archie comic books as much as I did? My cousin used to hide hers from me, because when I would visit her, all I wanted to do was read all of her Archies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This certainly does get stuck in your head. And yes, I loved Archie comic books when I was young. I still like them, but I don't read them anymore.

      Delete
  3. Wow another song I had forgotten about. I don't remember this being part of the Archies but I didn't watch them very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, and I had no idea about the story behind this song. You really do learn something new every day.

      Delete