Wednesday, August 8, 2012

1000 Islands Skydeck View

So not too long ago, hubby and I headed east along the waterway to see what we can see (aka: what I can photograph) and stopped off at Hill Island, one of the thousand islands in the St. Lawrence River. We didn’t stay there very long; we simply wanted to get a panoramic view of the famous 1000 Islands from the Skydeck located in the area.

First, we had to cross the Thousand Islands Bridge over the Saint Lawrence River that connects northern New York in the United States with southeastern Ontario in Canada. It was constructed in 1937 with additions in 1959, took sixteen months to complete and had a total cost of $3,050,000. In its early years of operation, the bridge typically had about 150, 000 vehicles crossing yearly; that annual total today is about 2,000,000. There is a toll fee. We paid $2.50 to get through.


Once we get past the bridge and end up in Hill Island, we head over to the Skydeck...


...which looks like this:


We are going to take the elevator all the way to the top (130 metres or (400') up) where there are three levels of observation decks.


To see this...


...and this...


...and this...


There are 1,864 islands that range in size from over 40 square miles (100 km2) to smaller islands occupied by a single residence, or uninhabited outcroppings of rocks that are only home to migratory waterfowl.


To count as one of the Thousand Islands these minimum criteria had to be met: 1) Above water level year round; 2) Have an area greater than 1 square foot (0.093 m2); and 3) Support at least one living tree.


This archipelago (cluster of islands) straddles the Canada-U.S. border in the St. Lawrence River and stretches for about 80 kilometers (50 miles) downstream from Kingston, Ontario (where I live). The Canadian islands are in the province of Ontario, and the U.S. islands in the state of New York.


There is the bridge that we just crossed.


Like every else along this waterway, people love their water activities.





And taking cruises.


You’ll find small and large homes on some of the islands.



And some that are hidden. This is where I’d want to be; totally isolated.


I even spotted a helicopter that had landed near the Skydeck that I’d hoped to photograph up closer once we got down, but it took off before we descended.


The Skydeck offers an amazing view, but it doesn’t come cheap. It cost us each $9.75 plus tax to ride the elevator to the top. Children between the ages of 6 – 12 pay $ 5.75, which is cheaper. But all in all, this is rather pricey and could really add up if you want to go as a family.

In any case, even though I don’t see us returning for a visit any time soon, once was certainly worth it.


18 comments:

  1. I keep saying it Martha, but you are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place. Those views are stunning. All you Canadian bloggers have really made me want to plan a trip there, it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should visit, Sulky. I think you'll really like it. Canada is very scenic and the people are quite friendly.

      Delete
  2. That is so beautiful, Martha. I'm sure it must be absolutely spectacular in the fall. How is ther river patrolled? It doesn't look very wide - like you could lean over and shake somebody's hand. Glad you had such a great day trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it would be gorgeous when the fall season comes along. All those pretty colours... I've been wondering the same thing about how the river is patrolled. It isn't very wide, and it looks like you can just ride your boat across to the U.S. I'll have to do a search for this; I'm so curious to find out.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos! But get down now, you're freaking me out being up that high.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...okay, okay, I'm down. Believe me, I didn't like being up there longer than necessary. I'm afraid of heights, so being up there is stressful.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I just saw an item on the Food Channel about who invented Thousand Island Dressing? There's 3 contenders, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading up on that while I was researching information about this area. I don't think anyone really knows how it came to be. There are some theories.

      Delete
  5. I is unreal how blue the waters are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh!
    So gorgeous. I love the idea of my very own island!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so cool! Talk about getting away from it all...

      Delete
  7. What a photographers dream to see this! So know I where and what the 100 Islands are! I guess some can be owned privately looking at those homes.
    'No man is an island." Where did that come from? ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of those islands are privately owned. Imagine that. Owning your own island. That would be something!

      Delete
  8. Just beautiful -- so typical of Canada's fantastic natural landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Canada is very scenic. A photographer's paradise!

      Delete
  9. great pics ! and that was one long bridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was. And while you're on it, the scenery you pass is gorgeous.

      Delete