Thursday, August 16, 2012

And On His Farm He Had...

...a horse...


E-I-E-I-O

My husband has been on vacation these past two weeks, and because we are fortunate enough to be living in an area surrounded by fun things to do and beautiful places to visit, we’ve been playing tourist almost on a daily basis.


And on our drives from one area to the next, we’ve been pulling over occasionally along the smaller highways and country roads, so I can take photographs. Most of my pictures are of barns, weathered or dilapidated barns, to be precise, which I love. I’m not sure what the appeal is but whenever I see an old barn – and the worse condition it’s in, the better – I’m heard exclaiming “Ohhhh...look at that! Isn’t that a thing of beauty?” And my husband pulls over and I take pictures.


Obviously the photos so far on this post are not of barns. They are of horses. Another love of mine. And of many other people. I mean, who doesn’t love horses?


At some point I’ll share some of the – oh so many - barn photos I’ve taken in the past little while. But today, I wanted to share photos of these horses we spotted earlier this week. Aren’t theses animals beautiful?



One thing I’ve discovered on these roadside photo sessions is just how friendly the country folk are. For example, while I was photographing these lovely horses, a young girl ran over from her home across the street with carrots in her hand, calling out “If you want the horses to come closer, give them these carrots.”


She had seen me from her window taking photos, and because the horses wouldn’t come closer to me, she grabbed a handful of carrots and headed over to coax them into it with a treat.


I was beside myself with gratitude and couldn’t thank her enough. And also mentioned that it must be obvious we’re from the city. Why else would we be pulling over to snap photos of farm animals? She laughed and said that it’s a common sight out in the country; people pull over all the time to take photos of the animals and of the barns.


She offered me the carrots, and I asked if she could give them to the animals while I took photos. She said okay and called the horses over. Unfortunately, only one of them came over. The other one wouldn’t budge. I guess he doesn’t like crowds or being the center of attention. Must be an introvert. [snort]


Eyeing me suspiciously...

I snapped a few more photos, thanked this sweet young girl once more before we took off and away we went, hoping for more photo opportunities to present themselves along the way.



During this vacation period, we’ve taken a few day trips and I’ve managed to take hundreds of photos, some of which I’ll be sharing with you over time. Eventually I’d like to create a post showcasing some of the interesting barns we’ve seen on our trips. Like this one:


I don’t know what it is about them, but I love these old buildings.

12 comments:

  1. Nothing in this world is softer than a horse's nose. And clearly, you love the wabi sabi of old barns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Debra, I do love the wabi sabi of old barns.

      Delete
  2. You know, horses are pretty cool, and the older they are, the nicer they seem. Those 2 did not look like the slim racing horses I've seen in Kentucky! Haha. But they looked pretty happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost as if they get more and more mellow as they get older. These two are clearly not race horses, but they are beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Horses are so noble, graceful, sturdy and strong....your photos do them justice for sure.....can't wait for the barns!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all those qualities and more. Such magnificent creatures.

      Delete
  4. Great photos Martha. What a nice girl, to help you lure those lovely horses in front of your lens! I love horses, they are graceful and beautiful animals, but very sensitive creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a sweet girl. I was surprised when she ran across the road with carrots in hand. Clearly, I've spent too much time in the big city where people don't even look at each other.

      Delete
  5. They are spectacular. I love horses. They are majestic and royal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a young girl I was crazy about horses and wanted one so badly. I read every horse book under the sun and pleaded for my own horse. Alas I never got a horse but I still love to look at them. They are one of the most beautiful creatures on earth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, too. I think I loved them even more after I read the book 'Black Beauty'. They are such beautiful animals.

      Delete