Sunday, August 5, 2012

Around The Garden

Our hot and dry weather continues. The amount of rain we’ve seen this summer has been frighteningly low. Last month was Kingston’s second driest July in the last 82 years. Only 19.1 millimeters (0.75 inches) fell! According to a news article I read recently, every month this year has been warmer and drier than normal. Global warming? Hmmm...

My husband is grinning from ear to ear with this drought because he hasn’t needed to use the lawn mower in weeks. Since we do not water our lawn, it’s gone dormant; the grass has stopped growing. No grass growth means no mowing. I swear I saw him shed a tear when that small amount of rain fell awhile back. And sigh in relief when it turned out that it wasn’t enough to wake up the lawn. I personally can’t stand lawns. My plan is to remove most of it over time, and replace it with flower and vegetable beds. My husband likes this. Obviously.

Anyway, since you’re here, let’s take a quick stroll through the garden and see how the plants are faring. I’m feeling a little philosophical today, so you’ll find quotes between the images. But since my humorous side is quite dominant, they’re funny. Why be serious if I don't have to be?



“So there he is at last. Man on the moon. The poor magnificent bungler! He can't even get to the office without undergoing the agonies of the damned, but give him a little metal, a few chemicals, some wire and twenty or thirty billion dollars and vroom! there he is, up on a rock a quarter of a million miles up in the sky.” ~ Russell Baker, New York Times, 21 July 1969



"People used to explore the dimensions of reality by taking LSD to make the world look weird. Now the world is weird and they take Prozac to make it look normal." ~ Bangstrom



"Buy land. They've stopped making it." ~ Mark Twain



“There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva.” ~ Josh Groban



"The odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with only a loaf of bread are three billion to one." ~ Erma Bombeck



"Noise proves nothing - often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she had laid an asteroid." ~ Mark Twain



"Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." ~ Benjamin Franklin



Time for some drinks and calorie-packed sweets? You betcha...

20 comments:

  1. dry as heck here in NB too, finally got some much needed rain a few days ago...i share your aversion to lawns, except i don't think i will replace mine with flowers, but low maintenance shrubs. My Dogs think they either need to dig to China or rip things out of the ground if it looks too pretty...besides i'm lazy :)...LOVE Mark Twain and Erma Bombeck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low maintenance shrubs are also a great idea. I intend to add some of those, too. It will be a few years before the entire garden is finished, so for now the lawn is here.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this Martha! It was like you gave me a personal tour. Looks like your garden is ignoring the drought!
    I hear you about lawns. When we moved here 20 plus years ago, my parents (who owned this place) had a huge lawn in front and back. We asked ourselves do we want to put all the care into lawns? Or do we want to put it into flower beds, trees and shrubs? Well, we are glad we chose the latter...not that it required less care (far from it) but it was where we wanted to 'take' our garden. To each his own.

    Loved the quotes you used...especially the LSD one....so true in a way,eh?
    Have a great day Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like latter, too. Those perfectly manicured lawns are overrated -- and a waste of time, is you ask me. We have some relief today as there is actually some rain!

      Have a great day, too, Jim. Sundays are a day to kick back and relax.

      Delete
  3. Loved the tour of your flowers. They are absolutely wonderful! We don't have such flowers at this time of year in Phoenix where it is 110 degrees coming all week and perpetual drought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy, and I'm glad you were able to join us. 110 degrees? Oh my...now that is HOT!

      Delete
  4. We're having a hot and wet summer of all things...I so LOVE Humidity!
    No, that's a total lie. I kinda turn into a deranged killer when it gets like this.

    I too, detest lawns. My dream is to have a front area of flowers,veggies,native plants and dry rock stream beds.

    I loved that quote about prozac, hahahaha. That is exactly how it is now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I turn into a deranged killer, too, on days like that. Your garden plan sounds lovely. I do hope you get it done!

      Delete
  5. Lucky you - where I am we're having one of our wettest summers! Your garden still looks beautiful. Love the LSD & Prozac quote, so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have gladly traded some drought with you for some of the wetness you have been experiencing. But at least it rained today after this post. I'm not sure what the month of August has in store for us, but I hope for some fair weather.

      Delete
  6. Loved your flower pictures AND your quotes, Martha. The pictures made me smile and the quotes made me laugh out loud. :-) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you could join us once again, Beth. The garden keeps going. We did finally have some rain today, so all is well with my world :)

      Delete
  7. Mercifully we have been getting rain after that dry streak. Your flowers look gorgeous though, no sign of stress. Most are pretty drought and heat tolerant(except for hydrangeas), that helps cut down on all the watering. Great quotes too! Thanks for sharing your lovely flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along! I like to check up on all the plants regularly to make sure they're all okay. After this post, the rain arrived - finally - and we're all grateful for it here.

      Delete
  8. Martha, they still look beautiful. I wish I could send some rain your way. It's been raining in South Florida almost daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got some on Sunday after this post went up, but certainly nowhere near how much we need. I wish you could send some my way!

      Delete
  9. Your garden is awesome; what a delight it must be to see all those flowers in their brilliant profusion. The weather is scorching here and our poor bougainvilleas are looking quite limp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a delight. It has been a really rough time for the garden this year, and yet, the plants still strive to do their best.

      Delete
  10. your garden looks STUNNING!!! Jealous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faux Fuchsia. And it's nice to have you here!

      Delete