Sunday, August 26, 2012

Beautiful Westport, Ontario

Instead of a garden tour today, let’s all hop on the ‘Plowing Through Life’ tour bus and head over to quaint Westport, a village north of my city in Eastern Ontario. I have visited this area twice this summer. The first time, friends took my daughter and I along with them on a day trip. And the second time, I drove up with my husband who wasn’t able to make it the first time because he was working. This worked out very well, because I quickly discovered that one trip is not enough. You’ll want to visit again and again.


The village of Westport was incorporated as an independent municipality in 1904, and is one of Ontario’s smallest ones. The first settlers to the Westport area arrived in the period between 1810 and 1820. Like much of the surrounding area, Westport received a large number of Irish immigrants in the 1840s through the 1860s, following the Great Famine.

Such a cool sign.
The downtown core has been preserved as it was in the 19th century, which makes this area a heritage destination.



One of the most attractive features is the charming specialty shops in which you’ll find unique and attractive items. Here’s a peak at some of the things you’ll see.




When my daughter and I went down with friends, we toured many of the stores. I was delighted by some of the things being sold.



This has to be the most interesting thing I saw.
On the visit with my husband, we spent a considerable amount of time at the Westport Harbour taking photos and enjoying the view.



Isn’t this area lovely? There’s no question that I’m always happiest by the water.



Both visits included a wonderful lunch on the patio of the restaurant in The Cove Country Inn, which overlooks the Westport Pond. The food is amazing, the atmosphere is relaxing and the view is spectacular.

My daughter on the right pretending the camera is not aimed at her.


I could sit here for hours with my thoughts and a good book in hand.

This is such a beautiful spot to relax in.
And during both visits, we couldn’t head back home before treating ourselves to ice cream.

We didn't get our ice cream from here, but I love the sign.
There are only 645 permanent residents in the village, but thousands of visitors and cottagers drop in each year. I can certainly understand the appeal now that I’ve been there. Westport is a truly lovely place.

I hope you enjoyed this week's tour. Have a beautiful Sunday, everyone.

10 comments:

  1. How do you think they'd like one more immigrant kitten? This is just stunning. Quaint shops, gorgeous scenery - it looks wonderful. I love the way you've arranged your photos as well. Your little daughter is beautiful,isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha...that would be great! Come on up here, Sulky. Thank you --- my little daughter is a sweetie :)

      Delete
  2. It looks charming! And I like your split-frame photo arrangements, if that's the right term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely place to spend a few hours at. We are surrounded by places like this; we've very fortunate.

      Delete
  3. Better not let Richard see these photos, he will be wanting to move to Canada! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He won't feel the same way when I show winter scenes! :)

      Delete
  4. What is really neat to see is how much time Canadian designers have spent creating beautiful walkways and rest spots for it's citizens. I just haven't seen a lot of that in the states especially in Tampa where you are lucky to even have a sidewalk. Maybe in other big cities they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it all depends on the city --- and its budget.

      Delete
  5. Westport looks to be a great place to spend some time. I like the fact that they kept it as it was.....no wonder it is a popular place to visit.
    I know what you mean about water, Martha. There is a theory about the ions water gives off and makes people feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it, Jim. Whenever I'm near water, I feel very calm and happy. It really does wonders for me.

      Delete