Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Downtown Kingston, Ontario Through My Camera Lens

At the gateway to the 1000 Islands and the UNESCO designated Rideau Canal, Kingston, Ontario is one of Canada’s most beautiful cities and I am proud to live here. Rich in history, culture, attractions, festivals, activities and acclaimed cuisine... what’s there not to love about it?

Today, I’m going to give you a glimpse of the downtown core through my camera lens. I will try to keep the editorial to a minimum. A picture is worth a thousand words, after all, so there’s no need for me to blab on and on. So, let’s move on.


In downtown Kingston, you’ll find...

...places to walk and shop and eat...






Homemade ice cream and frozen yogurt...



City Hall...



Interesting looking houses, buildings and historical sites...




Water, water everywhere...




Cool business names...



Water-loving birds...




Petty flowers...



The Kingston Public Market that operates right behind city hall every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from April through to November. This public market has been around since 1801.




And that, dear readers, is a quick glimpse into the downtwon core of my beautiful city. I hope you enjoyed the tour.

16 comments:

  1. I think the City of Kingston needs to hire you to promote the city to tourists. Your pictures would make a great brochure as it makes us want to come and visit. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Cathy. Perhaps I should send them an invoice!

      Thanks for the kind compliment :)

      Delete
  2. Some impressively arty shots in there, Martha! I like the ones from DavidsTea especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have taken more in that store as there were so many nice displays, but the clerks were looking at me funny. I expected that any minute, someone would tell me to stop taking pictures.

      Delete
  3. It looks wonderful Martha, you're so lucky. I'd love to live somewhere like that, that has so much to offer. Great photos, it looks like a very vibrant place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very vibrant place. I never expected it would be like that in such a small city. We are very lucky.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a place I'd like to visit! wonderful place to live :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really like my city. And it is a great place to live.

      Delete
  5. Ha ha! You really did Kingston proud, Martha! I have to tell you some of those houses are absolutely fantastic. Can you get inside to take us on a photographic tour of some of them or are they private homes? The colours are very vibrant in your shots I agree with Cathy Kingston needs to hire you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are private homes save for one, which is some historic building. I'll have to look into it a little more. There are other historic/public houses that eventually I'll tour and take lots of photos of. And you just know that I'll share them with you :)

      Delete
  6. Kingston is starting to grow on me. I love public markets. The fruits and vegetables usually taste sooooo much better. I really wish we had an Amish market close by. Love their baked goods, especially the noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too. In addition to this market, there are farmers who set up tables outside their farms to sell their fruits and vegetables. And a lot of them are just a few minutes drive from our home. Can't get better than that!

      Delete
  7. City Hall looks like a Parliament building!! Martha, you could really work for Tourism Kingston, seriously! What a full inclusive picture of Kingston you have given us. Well done and the photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim! Perhaps as I continue to get better and better at using my camera, I'll look into that type of work. I think I'd really enjoy photography in the tourism industry.

      Delete
  8. Love the photos, and I am glad to see you active with the camera. I love the townsy feel of Kingston, it must be so nice, and I also love, love, love those colonial homes. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hellas. I wish you could come for a visit, so I can show you around this beautiful city.

      Delete