Monday, August 13, 2012

Old McDonald Had A Farm...


E-I-E-I-O

And on his farm he had a cow...


E-I-E-I-O


Meet Annabelle. That’s the name I decided to give this friendly animal. We spotted her and her friends as we were headed toward a small town northeast of Kingston. My husband pulled over so I can take some photographs. This is something he does numerous times when we’re on country roads. I really love that about him.


When I got out of the car and walked towards the fence, she walked right up to me, obviously as curious about me as I was about her.


Isn’t she beautiful? And wonderfully sociable? Whenever I experience moments like this, I get the urge to sell our city house, buy a country home on a few acres of land and add some animals to it. Some chickens. A goat or two. Ducks. A horse. A pig. And an Annabelle, of course. Then I think of all the hard work required to take care of all these animals and tell myself “Are you out of your mind?” And the feeling goes away.


As I photographed Annabelle, I thought about my first farm visit when I was about 5 or 6 years old. It took place when I went on a field trip with my kindergarten class to a farm quite a distance from my city home in Montreal.


I remember being beside myself with excitement on the bus ride, and of us singing songs all the way there, including ‘Old McDonald Had a Farm’. Must’ve driven the bus driver nuts.


Part of our visit included walking through a barn to visit the animals, which I was really looking forward to. And you know what the most memorable thing about the whole experience was? The smell! The horrible smell. Not something I was used to as a city kid. I thought I was going to pass out. Or be sick. Still. It was fun.


So Annabelle took me back in time to my kindergarten years; a very special time.

When I got back in my car, my husband laughed as he said that people driving by would know I’m from the city because “only city people would think of pulling over to take photos of cows.” Indeed.

16 comments:

  1. Isn't your hubby nice? I like cows, they always seem so benign and gentle. Your right about farm smells though, very pungent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby is the best! So patient. I like cows, too, for pretty much the same reasons. And this one was so darn friendly.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos of the cow. My husband will do that same thing when we are out driving. Now I've got him taking a camera along too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crafty. It is nice when they are so patient and pull over for us to take some photos. It's funny because we also take along my other camera for him to use. The photography bug is contagious!

      Delete
  3. I know exactly how you feel Martha! I have had a few 'Annabelle' experiences too. Something about cows that intrigue me....are they really smart animals or not? Whatever the case there is that odd Annabelle who wants to 'get closer'.
    Great photos and great story......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea if they're smart or not, but I've always liked them. Perhaps it brings back childhood memories, particularly the drawings we made of farm animals, which mostly consisted of cows, horses and chickens.

      Delete
  4. She sure is pretty. From painful experience I must mention that you should never stand in a puddle and touch an electric fence while admiring cows, especially if you have a metal plate and pins holing your ankle together. Otherwise looking at cows is a safe activity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never thought of that, Francie, so thanks for that tip. I actually never touch the fences. They're very rusty and I prefer not to place my hands on them.

      Delete
  5. I do miss the country life. Farm life not so much. Though I do like all the animals the smell that goes with can travel for miles. Several of our friends had farms and boy, when the wind blows in the right direction...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the smell that gets to me, too. It's bad enough with the animals, but when it's manure season, oh boy!

      Delete
  6. I love cows, bulls not so much! Great photos of the cows. I'm with you on the smells of the farmyard, I'm a small town girl myself, it's my Dad who is the country farm boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just like you, Kay. I don't mind the small towns, but farm life would probably kill me...:)

      Delete
  7. I grew up on a farm and "Annabelle" looks very much like some of the milk cows we had. She's a very pretty cow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure is. I love those big, beautiful eyes of hers.

      Delete