Monday, August 6, 2012

One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others

...one of these things just doesn't belong...

Can you find the odd man bird out in the photo below?


Perhaps the seagull thinks it’s a duck. Perhaps the ducks have adopted the seagull. Or maybe they’re just all good friends.

In any case, these birds remind me of my Sesame Street junkie days. Back in the day, I used to watch this show obsessively, particularly the year my partner in crime (my brother who was only 11 months older than me) started school and left me alone at home. It’s hard to be mischievous when you’re by yourself and there’s no one else to share the rap with.

The show used to do a segment called “One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others” where the viewers would be shown a group of four items, one of which was different from the other three, and they would have to identify the item which didn't belong. It was presented in the form of a song that was written by Joe Raposo, Jon Stone and Bruce Hart, and used regularly on Sesame Street. I don’t know whether this segment is still going on or not (my Sesame Street junkie days are long gone) but it was a terrific way to teach kids to look for patterns and single out the one that’s different.

I immediately thought of that song when I photographed these birds, and it played in my head for the rest of the evening. I’ve included a video clip of it. But be careful. It’s addictive.



Did you watch Sesame Street?

16 comments:

  1. Ha haT that was so cute, Martha. I'm afraid I am of an earlier generation. I watched shows like Captain Kangaroo, Howdie Doodie (sp?) and the Micky Mouse Club. However Sesame Street is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of all those shows but didn't watch them. Sesame street came on the scene when I turned four; just the right age to get hooked on it!

      Delete
  2. I've never watched Sesame Street, but that song is in MY head now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still sing that song sometimes.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. And it's been over 40 years since I first learned it!

      Delete
  4. DEar Martha,
    You know I sing that song when something is out of place, don't you? Of course, you knew that! Sesame Street was something that I always watched with my younger sister, she loved it so much but I did too! (Hey, I'm older than you!) I LOVE TRASH by Oscar the Grouch is a good one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that song, too! It is hilarious. Oscar the Grouch was - and still is - my favourite Sesame Street character.

      Delete
  5. Hahahaha. That song always goes thru my head when I see things like what you had above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did a great job of making sure it stuck with us!

      Delete
  6. hahaha so cute!!!! I think the are starting a gang ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. And I wouldn't be surprised if the seagull is the leader.

      Delete
  7. I was a total SS addict too. And none of my kids liked that show...I was so bummed out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids didn't like it either! Weirdos...hahaha...

      Delete
  8. Sesame Street is great.
    My little girl I looked after for my friend while she taught school. So love that program.

    So to get her attention to come watch it. I would hum the start song. She would come so fast with her wee little legs. Now she is a teacher herself but her mom , my friend is with the Lord . She fought that horrid disease Pancreas cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about your friend. That is indeed a horrid disease.

      Delete