Friday, August 24, 2012

Sunny Side Up

“Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every
once in a while then a layer of scum floats to the top."
- Edward Abbey -

I love Aesop’s fables; a collection of stories credited to Aesop, a slave and story-teller believed to have lived in ancient Greece between 620 and 560 BCE. The fables remain a popular choice for moral education of children.

This week’s sunny side up features one of my favourite stories...

The Fox and the Crow

A crow having stolen a bit of meat perched in a tree and held it in her beak. A Fox, seeing this, longed to possess the meat himself, and by a wily stratagem succeeded.

“How handsome is the Crow”, he exclaimed, “in the beauty of her shape and in the fairness of her complexion! Oh, if her voice were only equal to her beauty, she would deservedly be considered the Queen of Birds!”


This he said deceitfully; but the Crow, anxious to refute the reflection cast upon her voice, set up a loud caw and dropped the flesh. The Fox quickly picked it up, and thus addressed the Crow: “My good Crow, your voice is right enough, but your wit is wanting.”

Moral of the story: Don’t trust flatterers! (And don’t talk with your mouth full...)

Enjoy the weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I love Aesop's fables, you've brought me right back to my childhood there! I should re-read them, now as I'm sure my morals have taken a bit of a bashing over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a book filled with his fables. They are quite interesting, and always fun to read through.

      Delete
  2. Excellent! But tell me, I'm I still okay typing with my mouth full? I bet Aesop didn't think of that one!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he didn't. But if he was around today, he would tell you that it's a no-no! :)

      Delete
  3. I've always loved this one! I am such a crow!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...are you really, Jim? I wouldn't think that.

      Delete