Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Today's Trivia - Celebrating All Things ‘Ginger’

Only 1-2% of the population has red hair (also known as ginger hair). And although redheads can be found in any population, it occurs more frequently in people of northern or western European ancestry. Scotland has the highest percentage of natural redheads, with 13 percent, while Ireland is a close second with 10 percent. In the United States, about 2 percent of the people have naturally red hair. So this beautiful hair colour is rare and should be celebrated.

And it is. On Redhead Day.

As stated in Wikipedia:

Redhead Day (Roodharigendag in Dutch) is the name of a Dutch summer festival that takes place each first weekend of September in the city of Breda, in the Netherlands. The two-day festival is a gathering of people with natural red hair, but is also focused on art related to the colour red. Activities during the festival are lectures, workshops and demonstrations which are aimed specifically at red-haired people. The festival attracts attendance from 50 countries and is free due to sponsorship of the local government.


What a wonderful way to celebrate all things ‘ginger’!

The festival’s website can be found here.

20 comments:

  1. Red hair *is* lovely. I'm suddenly thinking of Archie. And gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my Mom was a redhead and so was my Son...i thinks it's wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too. I don't think we have any redheaded family members.

      Delete
  3. My Dad was really red. He paid for it with so many skin problems in latter life though. He didn't have freckles though. Anyway, I do love red hair, except when it is dyed. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many shades, some more red than others. I find it quite fascinating.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this beautiful post, Martha. In my family of four, we have three natural gingers. In 2005, we had been eating dinner at the Creel Inn, in Creel, Scotland on the coast of the North Sea, when a local woman came over to our table. She and her family had been looking over at us very often during our meal and we thought it was because of our Canadian accents. The woman told us, "It is so beautiful and rare to see a full family of gingers!"

    Thanks for introducing me to the concept of the festival in the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the most incredible thing I've ever come across. I never imagined such a festival would exist, but it does, and it's beautiful.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I've seen some cute "gingers" in my day!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is WEIRD seeing so many gingers in one picture!! Weird weird weird ! Haha. My family has a couple red heads -- they'll be happy to hear that there's a day for them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, quite strange to see so many of them together. At least they have a celebration just for them.

      Delete
  7. That's a red army! I like red hair,There are a lot of redheads in Ireland, but I wasn't one of them. I just got the deathly pallor and freckles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...yes, a red army! You come up with some good ones, Sulky.

      Delete
  8. I was born a red head, some dark auburn... and now? I have dark dark brown :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really? That's so odd. I wouldn't imagine hair colour would change that much.

      Delete
  9. I have a ginger-haired cousin named Mark...we of course called him, Marky Sparky. And he was too. One day, when he was about 2 and one half years old, he and his mother went through four sets of dry clothes before we could all get out the door to go for dinner. Finally had to drain the kiddie pool outback just to keep him from soaking that fourth pair of shorts and matching tee. He could get in and out of that blow-up pond in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete