Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Today's Trivia - Popeye The Spinach Guy

You won’t get your kids to eat their vegetables by nagging, threatening or bribing them. So what do you do? Why, you get Popeye the Sailor to do the dirty work for you.

Popeye is associated with spinach, and he is also credited for popularizing it among children. Spinach consumption increased by 33 percent in the United States between 1931 and 1935 as Popeye gained popularity.

And he’s still a good influence. A 2010 study revealed that children increased their vegetable consumption after watching Popeye cartoons. He’s obviously a good role model for healthier eating.

Of course, this doesn’t work with everyone. My mother tried to convince me and my brothers to eat spinach when we were kids by bringing up Popeye, but we weren’t buying. Spinach was spinach, and if Popeye liked it, well, that was his problem.

14 comments:

  1. I remember Popeye, I loved those cartoons. But no spinach in my home because my mother hated it. We were force fed cabbage instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother was always a huge fan of spinach, so it was a regular thing in our home. Bleh.

      Delete
  2. I really liked Popeye when I was a kid. Spinach---not so much. Wimpy's hamburgers were more to my taste. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I bet they were. I think I'd take those burgers over spinach anytime.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, you were naughty children. Your poor Mom!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my poor mom! Drove her crazy when it was time to eat. We were all so picky.

      Delete
  4. Fried pumpkin blossoms. That was our torture. (Hate spinach too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother actually stuffed pumpkin blossoms. I must say they weren't too bad At least much better than spinach.

      Delete
  5. Ha ha Ha, I love how you defied Popeye. Good for you!
    Do you like SPinach now? I've always loved spinach..so uncool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on how it's made. There are recipes I've made with spinach that I enjoy.

      Delete
  6. I too loved Popeye, hated spinach. Spinach back in my day as a kid was a horrid gray-green slime in a can. I love fresh spinach now! ;) Really, I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly depends on how it's prepared. I think it's the recipe my mother made with spinach that I hated!

      Delete
  7. Popeye was my idol when I was a kid! Must have made me want to eat spinach because I LOVE it to this day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly had an influence on you, Jim. I wasn't buying his spinach pushing scheme...:)

      Delete