Monday, October 29, 2012

My Humour Loving Family

“Humor is our way of defending ourselves from life's absurdities by thinking absurdly about them.”
- Lewis Mumford -

Apparently, we do not possess a ‘joke’ or ‘funny’ gene, and therefore, our sense of humour is a learned trait that is influenced by family and our cultural environment. It is all nurture, not nature, so if you grow up in a household that laughs a lot, chances are you will, too.

That was - and still is - the case with my family. My older brother tells very amusing stories about the experiences and encounters he has had with other people. My mother makes you laugh with stories of everyday encounters, particularly the animals that visit her garden. My father was very witty, and also had a very sarcastic sense of humour. But never in a mean way. His sarcasm was friendly and very comical. And my brother who died last year was, by far, the most entertaining member. He had us all roaring with laughter at every get-together, and we all looked forward to seeing him on those visits to listen to his side-splitting skits. He could easily have been a stand up comic, and at one point we told him he should have had his own comedy show. He smiled at that, obviously flattered, and said he would call it “Every hour, on the hour” because a lot of his humour consisted of reporting the news in a very funny manner. When he died, we wanted to print something on his headstone that defined him, so...you guessed it...we added “Every Hour, On The Hour” to it. Wherever he is, he is smiling about that.

As for me, I could not imagine life without humour, as many of you who have been following my blog for some time have realized. As far as I’m concerned, it’s not an apple a day that keeps the doctor away, but a laugh or two. That being said, here are some comics to make you laugh. In honour of my humour-loving family who tickled - and continue to tickle - my funny bone regularly. And to keep all of you healthy. Don’t say I don’t care about you.

THIS IS HILARIOUS!
 








Although we’re not genetically predisposed to enjoying humour, had we been, my family would be primo candidates for it. In fact, we’d be carrying a supersized humour gene! A gene that I'm happy to report has been passed onto my children.

26 comments:

  1. You're pretty entertaining yourself, Martha! I like the tribute to your brother. Gatherings of you lot sound like fun. I love that "X" joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sulky. Our gatherings are quite entertaining!

      Delete
  2. Laughter truly is the best medecine for life's ills, isn't it? When you can't laugh, you're a goner. Loved all these cartoons this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also was born in a humorous family and thankfully that is one of my traits too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best things to learn from a family is to laugh! Thank goodness we were lucky enough to have that.

      Delete
  4. HUrray for homour! I swear, I'd die without it.
    I loved the Zen Garden school..that poor monk,hahaha
    and those cats on either side of the door...oh cats, you so crazy!
    Thanks for the morning laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Zen Garden had me laughing like crazy. It is simply hilarious! Yes, I think I'd die without humour, too.

      Delete
  5. Well that's a relief. that there is no humour gene. I can't tell a joke, Martha. For the life of me in person I'm just a bad joke teller. But both my brothers are very funny. I guess I grew up as the audience. Anyway, love your cartoons and the humour of your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I missed this post from you, Francie! A little late with my response, but here I am!!

      Delete
  6. I love that your family chose that as your brother's epitaph! Just that in itself speaks to your shared sense of humour. My family enjoys black humour - it helped us get through some dark times growing up. I firmly believe that if you can still laugh in the midst of troubles, you're going to be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that, too. Humour just seems to lift the spirit, no matter what. It's truly important for one's health and well-being.

      Delete
  7. Oh yes indeed...thank goodness for a sense of humor! I could not live without it---it is one of the things that has sustained me in difficult times. You are blessed, Martha, to have such a legacy of humor in your family. I'm so glad you have the memory of your brother's wonderful sense of humor. And I'm quite sure he must be pleased at his epitaph.

    That Zen Garden cartoon made me laugh out loud...thanks, Martha! I love your sense of humor, haha...it's just like mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no doubt that my brother gets a kick out of his epitaph. He's probably still being silly in the great beyond. The Zen Garden was my favourite one! It is so funny. Just my type of humour :)

      Delete
  8. So good to hear that you grew up in this healthy environment, Martha!! Nothing is better than a good laugh! Ron has taught me that there is lots to laugh about, he grew up in a similar family as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There sure is a lot to laugh about. And when you can laugh, you can survive and overcome so many things.

      Delete
  9. Maxine is me in 30 years... I know that for a fact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the cartoons! so interesting about a humor gene...never thought about it...i will now!! Every Hour, on the hour...is a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no other way with the type of person my brother was. He needed something out of the ordinary to truly define him.

      Delete
  11. Hahaha, thanks for sharing Martha! I've always loved Bizarro! Humour gene eh? Wonder what Ms Harris has to say about that haha.. o, and by the way, Martha -- I really would not describe those films as "horror" -- more like "very slightly creepy" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creepy is good. My favourite scary movies are the ones that play with your mind. I'm not a big fan of the blood and gore films. I like the ones that psychologically terrorize you!

      Delete
  12. Hahaahaa! Laughing at Poor Snap, Move on Dude and how did my cat Dot get in that photo? Hmmm, but the best one is the last one! Those glowing eyes looking in the windows is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Poor Snap...LOL... I guess it had to happen sooner or later!

      Delete
  13. Oh my, how funny! I must say that I think I have that same thing Maxine has, the IBES! So true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...that's funny, Kay! But I don't see it. You seem like such a friendly and happy person. I can't imagine you being irritable!

      Delete