Friday, November 30, 2012

Book It - Lottery

This week’s featured book:

Lottery
Author: Patricia Wood

Overview:

Perry L. Crandall knows what it’s like to be an outsider. With an IQ of 76, he’s an easy mark. Before his grandmother died, she armed Perry well with what he’d need to know: the importance of words and writing things down, and how to play the lottery. Most important, she taught him whom to trust, a crucial lesson for Perry when he wins the multimillion-dollar jackpot. As his family descends, moving in on his fortune, his fate, and his few true friends, he has a lesson for them: never, ever underestimate Perry Crandall.


My Comments:

This book was so insanely popular when it hit the market that I just had to see what the fuss was all about. So I did. And now, years later, I’m still trying to determine whether I liked this book or not, and if I did, what I actually liked about it. I’m still sitting on the fence on this one, as you can see, but one thing’s for sure: I don’t think it was an amazing, you-gotta-read-this-because-it’ll-change-your-life book!

Sure it was funny, charming and enjoyable from start to finish, but not the type of story I’d feel like reading again. Even after some time has passed. It’s not an earth shattering tale but it’s unique enough to attract attention. The writing is rather simple but pleasing. And although it’s not a page turner, it moves quickly enough to keep you interested. But what really keeps you engrossed is sweet, good-natured, naïve Perry; the main attraction of the story. It’s worth a read. Just once.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad I am not the only one who wonders whether they liked or not a book weeks or months after reading it. I am still at odds with a recent read... trying to decide what I think about it. But this book Lottery seems to have a pretty interesting story line. At least, it sounds original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes we get caught up in the popularity of the book, and feel that we should like it, but are not sure that it warrants that much attention. I thought this book was okay, but not spectacular.

      Delete