Monday, November 5, 2012

If Your Dog Poops It, Stoop and Scoop It

When I was growing up, there were no laws in place that forced dog owners to stoop and scoop up their pet’s waste, so you can well imagine what the city streets looked like some days. And how they smelled. Particularly on those hot summer days. It was rather disgusting.

Moreover, I don’t even like to think about how easy it was to accidentally step on something you wish you hadn’t stepped on. You really had to pay attention when you were walking because there was a good chance you’d end up with poop under your shoe. Yuck!

Thankfully, times changed, and laws were passed that require dog owners to pick up after their pets and dispose of the waste properly. Or else face a fine. These laws were placed there to protect citizens and other pets from diseases, and to keep our cities clean and beautiful. Our shoes, too.
And I am grateful for that.

But not all dog owners are responsible, law-abiding individuals. Or respectful of their environment. Or someone else’s property. Or other people, for that matter. On recent walks, I’ve encountered dog feces on sidewalks, paths and lawns left there by lazy, inconsiderate pet owners. One of those lawns was my own about a month ago. I can't tell you just how much this infuriated me.

What’s wrong with these people? Do they assume they’re above the law? Do they believe that the laws are merely 'suggestions'? That they don't apply to them? Do they think that the world revolves around them?

How do they just walk away after their pet has pooped? And not have the decency to clean up the mess? That THEIR dog has made. This really burns me. If they’re so disrespectful or lazy or whatever the heck ails them, then they shouldn’t have a dog at all. Having an animal – any animal – requires a certain level of responsibility. And sometimes that responsibility includes chores that really suck – like picking up poop! But you do it anyway. Because that’s what being a RESPONSIBLE pet owner and DECENT fellow citizen is all about.

And just for the record, I recognize that most dog owners are decent and responsible people, and I tip my hat to them. It’s a handful of morons who need to be fined heavily to force them to behave like civilized human beings – or have their asses kicked hard. Figuratively speaking, of course. Yes, of course. [wink]


16 comments:

  1. Totally agree,this drives me crazy as well. I always without fail scoop up my own pups mess and it infuriates me when I see other dog owners just walking on without doing so. Having said that, one of my neighbours is furious because the cat belonging to the people next door keeps using their lawn as a litter tray! (It's not me, I swear!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...yes, I'm sure it's not you, Sulky! Cats are a pain in the butt, too. I find kitty poop in my garden all the time, and it drives me nuts.

      Delete
  2. I agree, Martha! There's nothing worse than walking along the sidewalk and having to carefully watch and step around a trail of poop that some lazy person couldn't be bothered to pick up. I've heard people say that maybe the owner ran out of plastic bags. My answer is that when the owner returns home, they pick up a bag and go back and clean up the mess! I remember my dad watching a neighbour's dog poop on our lawn while out on a walk with the neighbour. My dad went out, picked up the mess and put it in a paper bag which he then deposited on their front porch in front of their door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I would say, too, if the owner said they didn't have a bag. Go home, pick one up and go back and clean up the mess! And if you run out of bags in front of someone's house, ring their bell and let them know what your intentions are if you find someone home; that way, if someone seeing you walking away with the mess left behind, they won't think you're a jerk.

      Delete
  3. Some dog owners are just plain ignorant. But I think most are responsible, these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of them are. It's a few morons that ruin it for everyone.

      Delete
  4. I have one of those neighbors who lets their dog poop in my yard. I seem to always find it when I mow the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh...that's awful! You must be really annoyed by now.

      Delete
  5. Haha, I love all the illustrations you chose to make your point :) This is once again the case of a few bad apples spoiling it for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it; a few bad apples. Most dog owners are responsible.

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, those ones! You know what some 'dog parks' do,Martha, knowing that a lot of dog owners don't or forget to bring poop bags with them, they supply them! Yes they do and I think that is a great idea because it is actually training a lot of would-be irresponsible owners to maybe becoming responsible.
    Saying that, it is still very common to see a lot of poop not being picked up. Some people are just too selfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS a great idea. That way they have no excuses. They are forced to clean up.

      Delete
  7. I agree. If you want the responsibility of an animal you gotta take care of them in every way required morally and by law! Pick up the poop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. With a pet comes responsibility -- some of it not very pleasant, but that's the way it goes.

      Delete
  8. Most of our neighbors are good about picking up after their pups. But a few are sneaky! My husband caught the ones with a Great Dane who were walking away from the fresh mess and asked if they were picking it up. They said they would come back 'cause they didn't have a bag! My husband got a bag out of the garage and chased them down, they came back and cleaned up the mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for your husband! Why take a chance that they won't be returning?

      Delete