Wednesday, November 7, 2012

International Tongue Twister Day

Don’t you just love a good tongue twister? Well, today’s the day to try some out because it’s ‘International Tongue Twister Day’.

According to Wikipedia, “A tongue-twister is a phrase that is designed to be difficult to articulate properly, and can be used as a type of spoken (or sung) word game. Some tongue-twisters produce results which are humorous (or humorously vulgar) when they are mispronounced, while others simply rely on the confusion and mistakes of the speaker for their amusement value.” Yup, that sounds about right.

Also, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, the most difficult tongue twister in the English language is this one:

“The sixth sick sheikh's sixth sheep's sick.”

Go ahead, try it and see how far you get. I can barely get through it once.

Or attempt to say some of these a few times in a row...

“Six sick hicks nick six slick bricks with picks and sticks.”

“If Stu chews shoes, should Stu choose the shoes he chews?”

“I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.”

“Lily ladles little Letty's lentil soup.”

“Old oily Ollie oils old oily autos.”

“Shelter for six sick scenic sightseers.”

“A skunk sat on a stump and thunk the stump stunk, but the stump thunk the skunk stunk.”

“Which witch wished which wicked wish?”

Is your tongue in knots? Yeah, mine too.
Maybe you can make up some of your own and share them with us.


8 comments:

  1. I just can't do it - I always sound drunk when I attempt any of these. My tongue sounds more mangled that twisted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the slitted sheet tongue twister!! It had me rolling with laughter as I mixed up the s's and the sh's! Ha, ha, ha! Thanks Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those twisted tongue photos give me the WILLIES! Ewwwww!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are hilarious! I remember us amusing ourselves at tongue twisters growing up. Love that cartoon - Sally looks like a guy in drag :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't even read thru the first one mentally, let alone say it out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures are just plain weird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that one and the others take a lot of concentration!! Makes me feel like I am all tongue!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you all enjoyed. And yes, those tongue photos are quite creepy!

    ReplyDelete