Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Malala Yousafzai’s Father Thanks Well Wishers On Her Behalf

Awhile back, I wrote about the dreadful shooting of Malala Yousafzai, an inspirational young girl that the cowardly Pakistani Taliban attempted to assassin to silence her fight for education for all girls.


Well, she survived, and I’m happy to report that she is slowly but surely recovering, and that her prognosis is very optimistic. My wish is that she heals completely, in every sense of the word.

While searching for information about her condition, I ran across the video below. In it, Ziauddin Yousafzai, the father of Malala, issues a statement on her behalf, thanking well-wishers for cards, messages and gifts sent to her as she recovers in hospital in Birmingham. And he also makes an inspiring speech about the grand cause of peace, education, freedom of thought and freedom of expression, and so on. Take a moment to listen to what this man says. It speaks to the soul.



I am humbled by this brave, compassionate and clearly wise man. Can you image what kind of world this would be if there were far more people like him in it?

12 comments:

  1. I am glad she survived that terrible attack Martha, but I have mixed feelings about her father. I think he loves his daughter, but that he has also used her as a political tool to further his own interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...that's a very good point, Sulky, and something I'd have to think about a little more. You may be right, but I don't think that was his intention. Until this shooting, she was not well known, so I think she may have been pushed into the spotlight. A lot of children living in these areas end up as political tools just from the circumstances they have to endure. This man's fight is a good one, and I believe he really means well. He continued to educate girls secretly long after the Taliban denied them an education, so his heart is in the right place.

      Delete
  2. There's a plan to nominate Malala for the Nobel Peace Prize apparently. I would support that!

    My Rare One and I watched the first part of this video on the news a while ago and alas, it appears to us that Malala may have physically survived the attack but it looks like she has suffered a brain injury as a consequence. She seems vacant and unfocused. What a terrible ordeal she has been through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the same thing in this video, but I'm hoping she continues to improve. Perhaps it's too soon to really tell, and I certainly hope that's the case. Either way, I have a feeling it'll be a long road ahead for this poor young girl.

      Delete
  3. Poor girl, she has a long road ahead of her. Equal opportunity education would certainly help pave the way to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure does. It really breaks my heart at what she's gone through. And all that just because she wants an education. What could possibly be wrong with that?

      Delete
  4. Sulky Kitten has an interesting point and one that hadn't occurred to me. I'm certainly going to give it some thought but in the mean time I'm really hoping that time is all that is needed to heal her wound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very interesting point, and it never occured to me either. Food for thought, for sure.

      Delete
  5. She is a brave little one that's for sure. I am miffed at certain acts in our world, but I also now see that it is impossible for us to understand because we were brought up in a different world, with different beliefs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard for us to understand. This girl lives in a different world with different rules. Her life is much more difficult and complicated than ours, and we cannot truly understand it. Or why she needs to fight for things that we take for granted.

      Delete
  6. I truly believe that this young girl is capable of great things. She will hopefully recover enough to not hold her back from her destiny....whatever she decides to do.
    People have gotten the Noble Peace Prize for far lesser feats. I am with Debra on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope she recovers. The world needs souls like hers to make it a better place.

      Delete