Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Late Great John Candy

John Candy has been on my mind lately. Why? I don’t know. Just one of those random thoughts of mine. Do you remember him? Actor and comedian. Gentle giant. Great Canadian. He was all that and more.

It’s not very often that I admire entertainers, but John Candy was definitely one of the few. He was a much loved, talented, delightful, hilarious and engaging actor who put a smile on your face and made you laugh out loud. Stripes, Splash, Cool Runnings, The Great Outdoors and Spaceballs are a few of the movies he appeared in. But my two favourites are Uncle Buck where he plays a lazy bachelor who is asked (because there’s no other choice) to babysit his brother’s kids, one of them a rebellious teenage daughter. And Planes, Trains and Automobiles where you see him in one of his most renowned onscreen performances as Del Griffith, the long-winded, eternally optimistic, somewhat overbearing but well-meaning shower curtain ring salesman.

I tried to put the right words together to explain what it is about this cherished actor that I truly liked, but didn’t need to. An article that I ran across while researching for information says it perfectly:

"John Candy could bust your gut and break your heart with just a smile. He specialized in working stiffs, guys named Chet or Gus or Jack, who busted their ass in thankless menial jobs so they could put food on the table and take their family on vacation. More so than any other actor of his era, John Candy reminded us of our fathers, or at the very least, that uncle who would sneak you a sip of his beer and partner up with you for horseshoes. He would have made the perfect father-in-law, a guy whose wisdom you could respect, but someone with whom you could also toss back a few cold ones.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself.  (Read the whole article here)

Below is a video tribute:



He was only 43 when he died on March 4, 1994 (has it already been that long?) from a heart attack; much too young to leave this life. And although John Candy’s time was brief, he was a great man who will always be remembered.

16 comments:

  1. Oh I loved John Candy! I was so sad when he died. One of our favourite movies is Uncle Buck and whenever I come across any of his films on TV I stop and watch. He was an outstanding actor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really was outstanding. I was saddened by his death, too. He was much too young.

      Delete
  2. I adored John Candy. Like all truly great comic actors, he could project pathos too that could break your heart. He died much, much too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he certainly could do that; one of the things I liked about him. So sad that he died so young.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite comedians. I still watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles every Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you had me at Stripes. I love his movies, and that is exactly right ... very relate-able to the 'average Joe' aka, most of us out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of us out there! I think that's one big reason why so many people liked him.

      Delete
  5. Uncle Buck, lol!! Also loved him in Space Balls (one of my all-time favourite movies). He was a true comic genius and great actor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very talented, and from what I've gathered, much-loved by his fans and by his friends and family. An all-around nice guy.

      Delete
  6. I so admired his talent! Has it really been that long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has been that long. Time passes so quickly.

      Delete
  7. I LOVED Uncle Buck! "Bug? What's your last name...spray?" Classic! I had no idea that he was Canadian -- learn something new every day! Oh man, Spaceballs. My sister and I text eachother a lot just quoting movies and Spaceballs is one we quote alot. "I'm a mog, half man, half dog...I'm my own best friend." It really is sucky that he's gone. WAY too young. And that description of him is spot on. SPOT ON.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is sucky that he's gone. I often wonder how many other great roles he would have had over the years in movies.

      Delete
  8. How did I miss this post on John Candy? I LOVED him! I still do really, so funny and so sweet in all his roles, it just came shining through didn't it? You Canadians can also claim Michael J. Fox, I love him too!
    I just noticed that no one mentioned one of my favorites of his, "Canadian Bacon". Look at that movie and you can't believe how much of that movie relates to today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always a John Candy fan. It's really tragic that he died so young. I read that he was a really nice guy in person, too. I like Michael J. Fox, too.

      You know, I'm not entirely sure if I've seen 'Canadian Bacon'. I'll have to look it up. Maybe I've seen it and I've forgotten. I'll have to see.

      Delete