Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Today's Trivia - Monkey Business

On the last Sunday of November, Thailand holds its annual Monkey Buffet Festival as a way of thanking the local macaques, which number in the hundreds, for attracting tourists to the area.

Photo frome here.
During the event, which is held at Pra Prang Sam Yot temple in the city of Lopburi, the locals lay down a huge feast just for the furry monkeys that includes buffet tables laden with fruits, vegetables, sweets, nuts and sausages.

Photo from here.
Some of the treats are even encased in blocks of ice to give the monkeys some entertainment before their treat.

Photo from here.
Locals believe that pampering these famous residents brings them good fortune and prosperity. The festival has become more and more lavish over the years, and it has put this small area on the world tourism map. I’ll bet.

Here’s a short video of the lavish buffet, and the cute – and slightly pesky - critters it’s prepared for.



Too cute not to share...

12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous spread they put out. Lucky little monkeys - it's funny watching them drink from the bottle.They're very engaging little creatures aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are very engaging! They are adorable, but I imagine they're a little mischievous, too! But still cute.

      Delete
  2. And once their digestive systems have finished with the big feast, is it followed by a huge Poo Flinging Festival?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine! That is way too much food. You see in the video how quickly some of them eat, and how much food they shovel into their mouths. How can they not get sick after that??

      Delete
  3. I noticed in one photo how the monkey was chugging a can of coke. They're probably addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!! Just when you think you've seen it all. I can't believe the spread they put out! I envision all the monkeys having a gigantic tummy ache after all that gorging. Interesting to see them chowing down on sunflowers - and colas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the colas that just kill me! Why give these poor creatures something with no nutritional value. I bet it makes them sick.

      Delete
  5. Oooh I do believe I need to feed a monkey to improve my Karma. Do you think the Hubs would go for it? :) They are way too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I don't think you'll be getting a monkey any time soon. Just guessing :)

      Delete
  6. I bet they think they had died and gone straight to heaven!!! Look at all that food!

    ReplyDelete