Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Today's Trivia - Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

No, I didn’t fall asleep on my keyboard.

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu is an actual Māori name for a hill in New Zealand. It roughly translates to:

"The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one."

The name is often shortened to Taumata by the locals for ease of conversation. (No kidding!)


This is the longest place-name (85 letters) found in any English-speaking country, and it is the second longest place-name in the world.

Not sure how to pronounce it? Here’s a little help:



And right when you’ve mastered the pronounciation, you find out that there are other forms of the name that are even longer:

- Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­ure­haea­turi­pukaka­piki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­ki­tana­tahu" (92 letters)

- Taumata-whakatangihanga-koauau-o-Tamatea-haumai-tawhiti-ure-haea-turi-pukaka-piki-maunga-horo-nuku-pokai-whenua-ki-tana-tahu (105 letters)

And here I thought Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was complicated. Silly me...

24 comments:

  1. Imagine trying to say that to your cab driver when you've had a few!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny. Before I read all of this, I wondered if they might shorten it to "Ta"...I didn't get it exactly right, but I can almost guess things correctly! That is how I made it through school, didn't learn a doggone thing, just guessing left and right! HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...you make me smile, Kay. But I think you learned a lot. And keep learning. Look at all the cool stuff you share with us.

      Delete
  3. Good grief what an address that would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a name that would be hard to fit on a form!

      Delete
  4. So the Maori have outdone that place in Wales with the huge long name! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This so cool...now if I could just untie my tongue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure if you're offered a treat, your tongue will straighten out!

      Delete
  6. I think I got it!? Or is that a headache!! lol
    Something to be said for de-cluttering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this kinda thing is cool. Haha, it's crazy looking on the sign. Those crazy New Zealanders :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha! I had the hardest time with the names in NZ when visiting my sister. there are a number of tongue-twisters! The first visit I kept calling the Pohutukawa tress seen everywhere (NZ's version of bottle brush) a Pahutahonka ... it just sort of stuck! I know have lovely coaster with the trees on it compliments of my sis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I like how you added 'honka' at the end of the word! That is our western mind for ya ;)

      Delete
  9. Lol, that's a tongue twister for sure. Just about every place name in New Zealand is in Maori - I found it a difficult language to roll your tongue around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be so impressed to hear someone speaking this language - easily!

      Delete
  10. Ha ha! Wherever did you find that video! I learn so much at this blogsite, Martha! I'm all set now to impress my friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep practicing, Francie, and you'll really impress your friends if you can say it as easily as the person in the video!

      Delete
  11. If that's the second longest, I wonder how long is the longest one... I am very good with languages but I just start cracking up halfway...not helping :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think to look at the longest time. Now, I must...

      Delete
  12. Holy cow, now I will have to find out what the longest name is.

    ReplyDelete