Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Today's Trivia - The Woman Who Fell From The Sky

I’m always amazed by stories about people who cheat death when the odds are extremely against them surviving. One example of this type of situation is the story of Vesna Vulović, the woman who fell from the sky...

On the 26th of January in 1972, an explosion caused by a bomb ripped apart JAT Flight 367 over Srbská Kamenice in Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic), on which Vesna Vulović was a flight attendant. Along with everyone else aboard that flight, Vulović plummeted 10,160 metres (33,300 feet) in temperatures of 60 degrees below zero towards the ground. Everyone died on impact, except for Vulovic.

Vesna Vulović (Photo from here.)
She was rescued from the wrecked fuselage by Bruno Honke, a local man who had heard her screams. Having been in the German Army as a medic during World War II, he knew how to treat her at the site of the accident until help arrived. She suffered a fractured skull, three broken vertebrae (one crushed completely) that left her temporarily paralyzed from the waist down and two broken legs. She was in a coma for 27 days. Within 10 months, she was walking again, a feat she attributes to eating chocolate, spinach and fish oil as a child, and to having the stubbornness of a Serb.

I tell you, when it’s not your time, no matter what the grim reaper has planned, he just can’t touch you...

Incidentally, Vesna Vulović was not scheduled to be on that flight; she had been mixed up with another female flight attendant who was also named Vesna. Makes you wonder if the other flight attendant would have been as lucky.

And just so you know:

This story may be hugely slightly exaggerated as a cover up for something else (read more here). But I’ll let you come to your own conclusions. I’m leaving the story as is on this post because it’s much more interesting this way.

26 comments:

  1. Well, whichever story is true, she definitely had a very lucky escape.It's a miracle she wasn't killed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was a miracle. I don't think I'd ever complain about my life after experiencing something like that!

      Delete
  2. wow so crazy. this is just as crazy as Juliane Diller (Koepcke), and her book which is also named after basically, falling from the sky: When I Fell from the Sky: The True Story of One Woman's Miraculous Survival
    I was just reading about that a couple of days ago, about the craziest survival stories... !!
    xxom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out that story about Juliane Diller (Koepcke). I've never heard about that one, and I always enjoy stories like these. They are crazy --- and amazing!

      Delete
  3. What a great story -- the cover up smells true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does. Still. She managed to survive while everyone else didn't.

      Delete
  4. 800 or 10,000 feet, who cares. She is a living miracle and your point that when your number isn't up, it isn't up, is the imortant thing here. Great story, but I am happy for her that she can't remember the crash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a blessing that she can't remember. She'd have to live with the memories of everyone else's last moments of fear and agony. Something like that would be much too difficult to live with for any human being.

      Delete
  5. CRAZY! I dont' know if it's true or not, but sometimes things like this happen, right? Weird how the world works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do happen. There are many stories of people cheating death. It's just not their time yet.

      Delete
  6. Well something happened to that plane and she was incredibly lucky to survive it. How extra bizarre that another Vesna was originally destined to be on that flight - that's the part I can't get over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no doubt that the plane crash, and since everyone else died, it was a huge impact, no doubt about it. It is a miracle she made it.

      Delete
  7. Oh, a two parter with a mystery,love it!
    Hmmm and now I'm not sure what to believe...I'd like to think she survived a horrendous fall but on the other hand...people do lie, what a crazy story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering that everyone else died, the crash must have been very bad. She's quite lucky.

      Delete
  8. This is a very intriguing and suspicious story...made for Hollywood. The poor woman doesn't even remember the flight....wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's one incredible story! She really did have nine lives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Either way, she survived a crash! For sure a cover-up. I'd hate to know but can imagine all the cover-ups that go on every day in every country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are probably more cover-ups than we'd like to think. I'm not sure if we can handle knowing about all of them.

      Delete
  11. Damn, this is amazing... reminded me of the woman who survived the free fall when her parachute didn't open. She was saved because of her amazing worked out abs... As I look at my 2 pack makes me wonder if it is enough motivation to hit the gym ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is incredible! Talk about a miracle. There is no way I'd survive something like that. I'd just splatter...LOL...

      Delete
  12. I couldn't even begin to think of what that would have been like. And to know that everyone you were with are dead. Only you have survived. Maybe her purpose in this life has yet to be completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those last moments are probably the most haunting. Imagine having that scene playing in your head over and over again. It's better that she doesn't remember.

      Delete
  13. I'm with the first commenter, doesn't really matter how low the plane was really flying, the fact that she survived is quite amazing!

    ReplyDelete