Saturday, November 24, 2012

Tune Time – Big Yellow Taxi

I’m proud to say that this song was written and originally performed in 1970 by a fellow Canuck by the name of Joni Mitchell. It was a huge hit in Canada, the UK and Australia. It wasn’t a very big hit in the US when it came out; its popularity there rose with a live version release in 1975.

Apparently, Mitchell got the idea for the song during a visit to Hawaii. She looked out of her hotel window at the spectacular Pacific mountain scenery, and then down to a parking lot.

She is quoted as saying: “I wrote 'Big Yellow Taxi' on my first trip to Hawaii. I took a taxi to the hotel and when I woke up the next morning, I threw back the curtains and saw these beautiful green mountains in the distance. Then, I looked down and there was a parking lot as far as the eye could see, and it broke my heart... this blight on paradise. That's when I sat down and wrote the song.”


10 comments:

  1. I so remember when this song hit the airwaves....I was driving my car from one shore side of the province to another on a straight stretch....I began humming and singing and have been ever since...I love Joni!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a blast! Nothing like singing along to good music when out driving.

      Delete
  2. Yes, Joni is the pride of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan! This is still one of my fave songs of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I can't believe how long ago this song was released.

      Delete
  3. I will confess to being a little obsessed with Joni (& Stevie Nicks) - over the past few months, I've been listening to her 'Blue' album at least every other day. She is a musical genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure is. I get into moods like that, too, where I listen to the same artist(s) over and over again.

      Delete