Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Today's Trivia - Tinkle Bells?

In 1951, Jay Livingston and Ray Evans wrote a song about the Santa Clauses and the Salvation Army workers who stand on New York street corners tinkling their bells. They named the song “Tinkle Bells”, but when Jay told his wife, Lynne, the name of the tune, she said, "Are you out of your mind? Do you know what the word "tinkle" is?" She went on to explain what the word is slang for. Ooops...

"We never thought that tinkle had a double meaning...” Said Evans. (I guess not.)

They decided to put the song aside and write a new one. But they liked the music and lyrics of it so much that they decided to simply change its title from “Tinkle Bells” to the familiar “Silver Bells’ that we all continue to enjoy today.

This pretty embroidery design can be found here.
Tinkle bells, tinkle bells
It’s Christmas time in the city...


Nope; it just doesn’t do it for me.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, I actually (finally!) knew this, because it's one of my favourite songs. We were even thinking of naming our new house Silver Bells...although with a cat and dog roaming free Tinkle Bells would be more accurate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...that's funny, Sulky. I guess with a cat and dog roaming free, it would be better suited.

      Delete
  2. 'Tinkle Bells' doesn't cut it for me either!! Of all the Christmas carols out there, I've always thought Silver Bells was one of the prettiest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I love this song. Very mellow, very pretty.

      Delete
  3. It's one of my faves too! "Tinkle bells" makes me want to pee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that is a great tid bit! ... and now I have that song stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a tune that keeps playing in your head!

      Delete
  5. hahaha it just sounds wrong... especially in the city. Too many "tinklers" ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funnnnnnnnnnnnny! Jeesh, who would have thunk it? Tinkle bells. hahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... They almost named it that! Thank goodness for the wisdom of women :)

      Delete