Thursday, January 3, 2013

All In The Family (2)

So yesterday, after I introduced you to the Kingston family, we all jumped in the car and headed over to visit the Montreal clan. How we all fit into a car that only seats five is another story...but, here we are...

Our first stop is at an off-island suburb of Montreal where my 20-year-old daughter lives. We are there to pick her up on the way to my mom’s place. This is our first visit here, and we drive up and down her street several times – unable to locate the home – because daughter gives us the wrong address!

Anyway, we finally find older daughter (thanks to cell phones) and I tell my husband and younger daughter (and all of you, of course) to wait in the car...that I’m going to go in...only for a minute. I’m lying, of course. I’m actually going inside to take photos of older daughter’s beautiful cat, Daeny, the one she adopted from the local humane society in Kingston when she lived with us for a couple of months (full story here). Hubby catches me trying to sneak the camera out of the car (which isn't hard to do because DSLRs are not exactly pocket-sized) and says “Look at this...she’s going in to take photos of the cat”.

And I do. Here she is:


I am thrilled to see Daeny after so many months. But she doesn’t feel the same. She’s trying to nap and is quite grumpy when I disturb her. Oh, the heartbreak... But she’s still adorable even with a grumpy look.

"I'm trying to sleep. Go away."

Daeny’s human mama is the older daughter we’re picking up. She wasn’t napping, so unlike Daeny, she is happy to see me.


Older daughter is a wonderful girl who is halfway through her university studies and working hard to support herself. I am proud of her in every which way.


She and her sister get along exceptionally well, and that makes me very happy. They will have each other throughout their lives.



They are life’s greatest gifts to me.

Together with my girls.

Let's meet the others...

First, there is my absolutely incredible sister-in-law. Best thing my brother ever did was to marry this girl. She loves us and we love her.

My wonderful sister-in-law. I simply adore her.

Here is a photo of my brother and this great lady. My brother is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I’m so lucky to have him.

My handsome brother and his beautiful wife.
 
They both love my girls, and my girls adore them.



My mom does not like to have her picture taken anymore, so images of her are rare now. Still. I do manage to capture this one where she’s sharing a laugh with her granddaughter. She was so happy to have us all there.


 
After consuming a scrumptious lunch and dessert, and after we open up gifts with my family, we get back in the car and head over to visit my mother-in-law. Here she is posing with the most amazing man in the world. No matter how many jokes I say, I can’t get these two to smile for the camera!
 


Our last stop on Christmas day is at my best friend’s house. We’ve known each other since we were four and love each other like sisters. She is one of the best people I know; genuine to the core, and beautiful through and through.

My dearest and oldest friend (left). I love her like a sister.

The next morning, my mom and I walk over to visit her best friend who lives just a few houses over. I have known this woman my entire life; she has a beautiful soul, and I hope she’s around for many more years. She is 86 years old, by the way. Doesn’t she look amazing?

My mom (left) and her best friend of almost 50 years (right).

Her daughter is there, too, so I snap another photo. These two women have been a part of my life since I was a toddler! I consider them part of my family.



And last, but far from least, is my magnificent father-in-law. He is such a kind and thoughtful man, and very down to earth. He is thrilled to see us and smiles heartily for the camera. He’s 86, too, and in amazingly great shape.


Here he is with the most amazing man in the world. Like father, like son...



There you have it, folks...the people that make the holidays extra special. I have been blessed with a very loving family that I absolutely adore. And I am so very grateful for that. My other brother and my father are not with us anymore, and we miss them dearly, but their spirit lives on in our lives.

I end this post with a photo of me and the most amazing man in the world. He is another of life’s greatest gifts.


Have a great year ahead, everyone!

20 comments:

  1. I loved seeing all these photos of your nearest and dearest, Martha. That trip was well worth the effort. It must have been so hard to move away from them.It's great to put be able to put such lovely faces to names. That Daeny is so cute as well - she has lovely markings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to leave them, but with so much electronic communication these days, it's easy to keep in touch.

      Daeny is truly adorable. And she's a very sweet cat. I just caught it at the wrong time that day --- nap time!

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful photos! You are truly blessed with great people in your life! But I must say that it looks like Daeny has quite a way to go in the grumpiness department before she could be a true rival to Grumpy Cat. Her sweetness still shines through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure does have a long way to go before she can be a true rival to Grumpy Cat who is a champion at that!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely series Martha! I enjoyed both posts and a look at your wonderful family. Wishing you continued happiness in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. most cats are grumpy to see me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Martha, I love this post. It is so wonderful that you shared this family/friend visit with all of us. Such beautiful people and you all love each other so much. I love to see that in people's lives. We should all be so fortunate. Hugs and blessings, Bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bird! Yes, we do love each other very much, and get along so amazingly well. I am so grateful for all of them.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post. Such beautiful faces. You are really blessed to have such a wonderful group of friends and family, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, Francie! They are my favourite people!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post, Martha! Your daughters are beautiful, as is the rest of your extended family. You can feel the love! Thank you for sharing. Daeny is such a pretty cat - she doesn't look grumpy to me! She looks like a sweetie-pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only joking about Daeny, because she is very much a sweetie-pie! I snapped photos while she was trying to nap, and that's why she looks unhappy!

      Delete
  8. I've really enjoyed these last 2 posts, Martha! Such honest, open faces. You can feel the love shining through in all of these pics. You and your husband make a very good-looking couple, I love how you're both colour co-ordinated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't notice anymore, but we very often are colour co-ordinated...LOL... You know what they say about couples...the longer they are together, the more they start to look alike...LOL...

      Delete
  9. You are so lucky and blessed to have such a fine bunch of friends and relatives to share your life with! Wonderful photos! Thank you for letting us in on your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very blessed with this bunch. They are all such good people!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful trip to meet wonderful people....Martha....you have a great family and the support is so evident....such a great feeling coming out of the screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy we were able to take this trip. The snowstorm arrived after we returned home...thank goodness for that! Yes, they are a great bunch of people, and I'm truly blessed!

      Delete