Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Books...Oh, How I Love Them

How many times have I mentioned that I love to read on this blog? Quite a few, I’m sure. But I can’t help it. I’m such an insatiable ‘bookaholic’ or ‘biblioholic’ - or whatever term is used to define an obsessive reader like me – that I can’t resist bringing it up. Again and again and again. Particularly after I’ve just finished reading a book that I really, really, really enjoyed. Which is what I did this weekend - finished a book that I really, really – and did I mention - really enjoyed.


This book not only reminded me once again why I love reading so much, but also stayed with me long after I was done with it. In fact, it’s not quite out of my system yet. I’m still thinking about it. And its message. And how I felt about the story as I went from chapter to chapter. And how I felt as I read its ending. And how I felt about the story – chapter to chapter - after I read that ending. Did I still see it the same way, or did I change my mind now that I’d gotten to the ending? It was quite a philosophical and introspective weekend this weekend of mine. All that because of a book. But not just any book. A book that I really, really – and dare I mention once more - really enjoyed.


And which book was it that got me into this meditative mood, you ask? One that many of you have heard of, and possibly read: Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Some of you may have even seen the movie that was based on this incredible novel. I have not. But I’d like to. Especially now that I’m done reading the book that I really, really, really enjoyed, and would love to see the characters in this story come to life. Although, I’m thinking I should maybe wait for the rest of the family to catch up before we watch the film since I am recommending that they read it. My daughter shrugged. I’m not sure what that means, but I’m thinking she won’t get to it any time soon. So I’m not going to wait for her to read it. Hubby, on the other hand, said to put in on his night table, which is his way of saying that he will absolutely read it. I’ll wait for him. Then we’ll watch the movie.


I will write more about this story fairly soon, and share my thoughts and feelings about it. I’m hoping to have that post up tomorrow, but if it’s not ready, it will have to wait. Until next week. Or the week after. Or whenever I’m able to finish it. No rush on book reviews anymore. As some of my regular visitors know, throughout 2012 I ran a weekly theme post called ‘Book It’ in which I featured a review of a book I’ve read. But like many other themes that seemed like a good idea when I started them, it’s proving difficult to keep up with. So, instead of reviewing a book weekly and getting stressed over trying to meet the deadline, I will do it whenever I get a chance. And particularly when I recall a  great book I’ve read, or when I’ve just finished reading one I really enjoyed. Like Life of Pi.

Coming soon...


20 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one, Martha - though I heard the movie was good. If only reading did burn calories, I'd be invisible because it's my favourite thing to do anywhere, at any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have disappeared if reading books burned calories...hahaha...

      Delete
  2. I love that book too! It was a joy to read and its impact stayed with me a long time, just as you say. It is a profound meditation on humanity's dual nature, both its purest expression and its most animalistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pretty much says it all, Debra. I adore this story. It is still inside me, and I think it will be for quite some time. Made me think about a lot of things, and also made me realize a few things about myself.

      Delete
  3. Great post :) I'm really, really, really glad to hear you enjoyed it! I loved it too and the feelings and mood it evoked lingered for many days after I'd finished it. As you are well aware, I am a bookaholic too, and also enjoy sniffing them ;p hehe, and caressing their spines... hahaha!! Guess I'm still not over yesterday quite yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I finally read it! It was sitting on my shelf for quite some time. I'm not sure why I took so long getting to it.

      Now, now Jane, don't go getting all x-rated on us...LOL...

      Delete
  4. Ah...there's nothing quite like that feeling after you've read a book that excites you, is there? Sometimes, when I'm in the midst of a book like that, I get so stirred up that I have to get up and walk around! I'm so glad you've found a book like that, Martha. Now, I'm off to our library website to see if I can reserve Life of Pi!

    (Loved the book sniffer cartoon. Me, too. My name is Beth, and I am a Book Sniffer.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing, Beth. I stayed up all night once to finish a book, and had to put it down once in awhile to cry! Give this one a try. I think you'll really like it.

      I think there are a few book sniffers that visit this blog!

      Delete
  5. Love the cartoons, particularly the book sniffer! ha ha. I haven't read the book, Life of Pi but I will certainly try to get a copy now. And Yes I know what you mean about good ideas 'at the time'. I tend to fall into that rap a lot and then remind myself that I'm retired now and don't have to live by the rules, not even my own rules!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francie, I think you'll like this one. At the very least, it'll really get you to think about a few things.

      I have started and dropped many blog themes over the years. Sometimes I just can't keep up with them.

      Delete
  6. I will always love books. Love the book sniffer cartoon! I look forward to your thoughts on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey you love to sniff the pages too...is that weird? One thing I noticed is laptops don't smell like pages of paper. Is that a revelation!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I guess that is a revelation.

      ANd yup, I love to sniff the pages, too. I guess it is a little weird --- but fun!

      Delete
  8. I love this post, Martha!
    It had me laughing and wanting to read "Life of Pi." I haven't seen the movie yet, because I absolutely want to read the book first.
    I am a huge and omnivorous reader! I have books stacked up that I want to review in my blog, but I'm not going to rush them. I would have been very stressed trying to review a book a week. Kuddos to you for doing it; but I think your current plan is saner!
    As for blog themes - I don't think I'm cut out for them. I'm thinking Omnium-Gatherum is history! I'll just write whatever, whenever, and not worry about a theme or even a theme of no theme!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it, read it! And I hope you like it as much as I did.


      As for blog themes, they are hard to keep up with unless they are short and sweet like my Saturday silliness or snapshot Sunday. Those are easy!

      Delete
  9. O yes, I LOVE reading. And isn't it wonderful when you come upon a book that you can barely put down, and makes you feel wistful and sad as it draws to a close? I've known books like that -- books like Jonathan Strange, or the Gormenghast novels, or The Count of Monte Cristo. I very much wanted to see Life of Pi, but as I was busy puking at the time lol.. I shall have to read the book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooof, yes, morning (and sometimes all day!) sickness will certainly delay plans on watching a movie. Well, at lest now you can catch up on those things!

      Delete
  10. Book sniffer Martha?! Just priceless. I love reading as well and paper books, not on Kindle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, a book sniffer! Hahahaha... I'm guilty as charged :)

      Delete