Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cats and Boxes

“A cat determined not to be found can fold itself up like a pocket handkerchief if it wants to.”
- Louis J. Camuti -

So, I didn’t finish the review of Yann Martel’s book ‘Life of Pi’, after all. I hope to have that post done next week.

Until then, here are some funny images to make you laugh. And in between, I’ve added reasons why cats are so obsessed with boxes. Not that I knew offhand. I didn’t. I had to look it up. And not that you really care. You probably don’t. But on the off chance that some of you do, well, here it is...

Enjoy!


Cats like the security of enclosed spaces, and because boxes resemble a cave, it provides them with that feeling, as well as with the comfort that they cannot be attacked from behind. (I’m not sure how this works with boxes that they just sit in.)


They are cozy, especially with a soft blanket on the bottom. And the sides of the box help retain the heat making it that much more appealing a space to sleep in.


They are fun! When you were a kid, didn’t you and your friends jump up and down with joy when you ran across a large box? Fortresses! Castles! Well, to a cat, it’s just as enjoyable. Aside from how much fun they have jumping in and out of them, boxes are also great places to hunt from because they can hide in them, crouch and then pounce when a person or other animal walks by. Or simply leap out and ambush the unsuspecting prey on the kitchen floor (a.k.a. catnip toy).


So those are a few reasons cats like boxes. But not all cats. Certainly not mine. Whenever I put out boxes, they shun them. Then they look at me with disdain and disgust, as if I’m a moron, incapable of comprehending that these offerings are beneath them. My cats sleep out in the open, sprawled out on the furniture or on the floor. Maybe they feel very trusting, and safe and secure, and not in need of a place to hide. I guess it’s a good thing. That they don’t need for a cave to sleep in. Not the way they look at me.


20 comments:

  1. Love these pics. My cat loves nothing better than to hide away. He even loves jumping into open drawers, the trouble is he's a big lad and not all drawers were meant to hold a 20lb + cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are so funny about that. They'll try and squeeze into the smallest spaces if they have their mind set on that!

      Delete
  2. Most interesting! Makes perfect sense actually, though I'd never stopped to consider why until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. After I read about the reasons, it all made sense, but it just didn't dawn on me before!

      Delete
  3. HRH adores boxes. And bags. And sneaking into open drawers and closets. And her cat tree cubbyhole.

    "Life of Psy" -- LOL! Where DO you find these things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most cats love these things. Mine are a little unusual.

      I don't have a set place for humour. Sometimes I just google photos to see what comes up and end up very lucky! When I ran across this one, I thought it was hilarious!

      Delete
  4. Our former cat,Rita, never in her 16 years cared for boxes. Martha I believe your cats and Rita are/were more of the evolved species of feline. lol
    This was interesting and the pics were a riot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha...you are probably right, Jim! An evolved species...I like that!

      Delete
  5. they sure love boxes. My gf's cat tried to get in the monopoly box top once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...that's funny. Probably didn't want to be ignored while the game was going on either.

      Delete
  6. Ha! That first cat is a fat fricken cat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Martha! The cats in boxes are very fun - they remind me of my mother's cat Mitsey who loved nothing more than to get in a box, or a drawer, or even a paper bag. She would love to get up on the coffee table and dive bomb my mom's dachshund when he walked by. Cats and dogs are so entertaining! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are entertaining! Life would be quite dull without these crazy critters!

      Delete
  8. I love the "dough" Martha. Boxes are such a cat thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, our Cleo loves boxes, bags, drawers, and any other enclosed spaces. We didn't realize this was such a common trait, just assuming this was another of her idiosyncrasies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be quite a common trait --- but not for my own two cats. They don't seem to care for boxes or closed spaces.

      Delete