Monday, January 7, 2013

Life Without The Internet

So last week, we lost our internet connection for a couple of days. And I was not pleased about that. At first. I’m a creature of habit, you see. I have a particular schedule that I live by fairly regularly. And the internet is part of that schedule.

I wake up very early each morning, and with my first cup of coffee in hand, I load up my computer to check emails, read the news, catch up on new posts from my favourite bloggers, respond to comments left on my blog and visit whatever other sites are on the agenda for that morning. Or whatever.


By the time the sun has risen, and I’m finishing my third cup of coffee, I’ve pretty much traveled the globe in cyberspace. And it’s only 7:30 AM. This is pretty much a daily routine. Unless there’s no internet. Which is what I woke up to Thursday morning. And Friday. No internet. Just that first cup of coffee and a computer full of files. But no connection to the outside world.

In the beginning, I was not happy about it. And even wondered what the heck I was going to do without the internet. And this seemed strange considering I was born before all this was created, and I did just fine without it. But we now live in an age where an internet connection is almost a necessity. And being without it can be quite difficult.


For two days I was forced to do just that; live without it. And let me tell you, once I came to accept that this is what it is, I realized that there are so many other things to do, and caught up on a lot of tasks that have been waiting on the sidelines. There is life without the internet, I realized, and it can be quite satisfactory.

But.

Through the internet, I have met so many great people that I otherwise wouldn’t have. And I like this part of my life. Very much. If my internet connection was gone forever, so would my connection to these people. People like you.

So despite the fact that life can and will go on without the internet, I’m glad that it doesn’t have to. What would I do without you all, eh?


24 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. The last time I was without the internet when I moved house, I treated it like a state of National Emergency! I obviously spend way too much time on it. I love it, and have come across all types of interesting people on it (like you). The only time I'm happy to do without it is when I'm on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd survive without it, but I don't want to...LOL... I'm enjoying so many things online, particularly the bloggers I've met!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the trauma is over for you, Martha!

    PS, you picked the perfect illustrations for today's post, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so hear you! What did we do to fill the time before the internet took over...? On the rare occasions that I have to go without it, I feel lost, but then adapt quite well. I have to wonder about what the next generation does when they are cut off. My kids whole lives seem to be housed within their phones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same way, Jane. I feel lost for awhile and then adept very well. My kids are the same way; always connected somehow. They really don't know what to do with themselves without all the electronics. Kind of sad, if you ask me.

      Delete
  4. I hate when mine goes off. My laptop at first didn't want to connect today but it was just being weird. I've had it go off from almost a week one time. Worst week ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One week is very long! I can imagine how hard that was!

      Delete
  5. SImilar but not quite the same -- I've been pretty sick for the past couple weeks. I'm finally better, but for those coupel weeks , I couldn't really be on the internet, I had to sleep and eat chicken noodle soup. It was rough at first not being able to respond to blog comments and visit blogger sites, but after a few days...it wasn't so bad. Ilike the internet, I don't want it to go away, but it's not the worst when it's gone, it was a neat break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a neat break when we're off the internet for awhile. I think we'd survive it. But I do like the blog connections. That's what I'd miss most.

      Delete
  6. I wondered about your early morning post times! Mystery explained. Anyway I am expecting mine to be down for a while this week while I switch internet providers - just have to make sure to load my e-reader I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, my posts are prescheduled, so I'm cheating! LOL... It's rare that I post on the same day. I usually prepare them a day (or days) in advance.

      Good luck with the switch, Francie!

      Delete
  7. Like you, Martha, I am enjoying the online connections and friendships I've been making. The whole blogosphere experience is a relatively new one for me, and I'm spending way more time on it than I thought I would. It's just so much fun!

    Our internet was down last week. Oh disaster! We were just going to call our internet provider since nothing we tried had worked. Then I suddenly figured it out. I had unplugged the internet vampire rather than my external backup drive vampire from the power strip. Oops! Terry had another opportunity to demonstrate how patient he is!

    I tried to explain to my nephew Kevin once how awesome it was to be up North by myself on the ice or in the bush when absolutely no one in the world knew where I was. I was ALONE! Kevin, who has been connected since birth said, "Why would anyone want that?" The Connected have no idea what life can be!

    The internet certainly expands your life though. I need both worlds.

    I hope that you are having a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We grew up without all these gizmos and gadgets, so we would probably adapt a lot easier if the internet wasn't there. But like you, I need both worlds. I cannot be connected all the time, but I don't want to be disconnected either. A little of both works very well!

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, that kidney transplant!! Hilarious and so true!! lol!
    I hear you loud(ly) and clear(ly), Martha! We would be lost as well without the 'connection'. But I'd like to think we'd survive.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we would survive, Jim, having grown up without it, but we've made some great connections with people all over the world, and I'd hate to lose that!

      Delete
  9. oh so true! love the kitty shot :) ... every summer I go through this. we have a house in the Adirondacks ... well house would be stretching a tad. It is a cabin. I love it, but it is a 'no frills' kinda of place. And there is no internet, or TV, or anything that connects you to the rest of the world. We often go for 2 weeks at a time, sometimes 3 or 4 weeks. And I do start to get a bit of 'cabin fever' and just want my internet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking a break like that is great. Being hooked up all the time can't be good for any of us. I like to disconnect from the world now and again.

      Delete
  10. It is amazing how the internet has become such a part of our lives. When I travel I try to stay away form it completely, just to get that feeling that I can indeed live without the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a laptop or a phone with internet service, so when I'm away from the house, I have no access to the internet. So I do get a break many times. I don't want or need to be hooked up all the time!

      Delete
  11. Well, Martha, at least you know now that you'd be just fine without it. We get to live that just about every year during hurricane and tropical storm season. Not fun but doable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not fun, but I think I'd survive. I do prefer the best of both worlds!

      Delete
  12. I miss mine when it goes off. I too prefer the best of two worlds. We get spoiled.

    So Now I added you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being connected because I've met some amazing people in the blogging world. It would be sad to lose touch with them.

      Delete