Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Today's Trivia - Becoming One With A Comic Book

Mark Guenwald was an American comic book writer, editor, and occasional penciler known for his long association with Marvel Comics. His life was cut short at the young age of 43 when he suffered a fatal heart attack.

In his will he specified that he wished to be cremated and that his ashes be mixed into the ink used in one of Marvel’s titles. It took his wife, Catherine, some time to convince the comic book publisher to do it, but the company finally obliged. His ashes were mixed with the ink used to print the first-run trade paperback compilation of ‘Squadron Supreme’.

Gruenwald’s widow wrote in the forward to the comic book:

“He remained true to his passion for comics, as he has truly become one with the story and blended himself in the very fiber of the book.”

20 comments:

  1. An unusual request, but I'm glad that his wife managed to have his wishes carried out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they did, too. It's a little weird, and maybe even creepy, but not an impossible wish to fulfill.

      Delete
  2. Talk about throwing yourself into your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's true passion. He certainly did "blend himself in the very fiber of the book."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when people do crazy "burials" like this, so awesome. I'm glad he was able to have it his way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad his family complied and fulfilled his wish!

      Delete
  5. never heard of him, but I should check out his work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of him until I ran across this bit of trivia.

      Delete
  6. Whhhaaaaat?? Say Whhaaattt? Too creepy for me. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this is certainly the most original final resting place story! Great tidbit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is passion!! Thanks Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if I find this cool or creepy...

    ReplyDelete