Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Good Day To Paint

This morning I’ll be painting the teeny tiny bathroom in our home, which is referred to as a ‘powder room’ because there’s no bath or shower in it, just a toilet and sink. But ‘powder room’ sounds stuffy, don’t you think? Or is it just me? It’s probably just me. Either way, I prefer bathroom. Or washroom. Or restroom.

Anyhoo.

This ‘bathroom’ used to have wallpaper in it, which I removed when we took possession of our home a few years back. Now, anyone who knows me well knows that my idea of the worst punishment in hell would be removing wallpaper eternally. It’s right up there with ironing. Both these things have the potential to make me go batshit crazy!


But remove the wallpaper I did. And the room was painted. Except that the paint job was really sucky. Because the previous owners had painted little ugly as sin charming gold leaves on the walls, and because the walls weren’t primed before painting, the leaves bled through. And the bathroom has looked like crap ever since. To me. My husband and daughter have never minded.

After complaining about mentioning this for the past four years, I decided to finally do something about it. Myself. It’s entirely up to me because hubby does not consider this an urgent chore. Like I do. So I washed the walls, primed them and spent yesterday evening masking off areas that should not be painted. With my annoying loveable black cat under my feet. No matter what I’m working on, she’s always there sticking her nose into everything. You know what buttinskis cats can be.


And today is the big day. Where I get to put my painting skills to the test. Did I mention that I haven’t painted walls for over ten years? Yeah, that long. When I told hubby about my plans for this bathroom, he looked a little nervous and asked me if I know how to do this. I waved him away. “Pfffftttt... How hard can it be?”

We’ll find out, won’t we?


28 comments:

  1. Good luck lol
    I haven't had a paintbrush OUT of my hands for 10 minutes in the last 2 years lmao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some of the things you've painted and WOW! Amazing.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha... there are lots of things husbands don't consider "an urgent chore"! Luckily yours has such an industrious, adventurous wife! You already primed the walls, which is half the battle won (I'm sure you scraped, sanded and filled in whatever you needed to first right?) (I also know some people mix in a bit of the topcoat paint into the primer). Don't worry -- you can do this! Looking forward to the before and after pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't as ambitious as you describe! LOL... The walls certainly could have used some more scraping and sanding, but oh well...LOL... It did turn out nice, regardless. And certainly a lot better than before. I love doing jobs like this. I just don't like the preparation and cleanup!

      Delete
  3. I would like to repaint the entire inside of my house, but I can't even get motivated to do one room. Ugh. Good luck with your painting Martha -- and I agree, Powder Room is not in my vocabulary. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd paint more if it wasn't for the preparation and cleanup. Those two chores are tiring!

      Delete
  4. Painting is right up there with yard work. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh boy! sounds like me!! there are things in my house that drive me nuts! and my husband thinks 'it's just find' aka, I'm not going to do that. So unless I'm willing to do it solo, it won't get done. And wallpaper is TOP of my list. HATE it, and I have it everywhere ... still. Good luck!! get some pics :) and hopefully kitty doesn't get a paint job too :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, sounds like my husband. So I just go ahead and do some of those jobs myself. Makes me feel good, too!

      Kitty didn't get any paint on her. But she was determined to do so. Drove me nuts while I was painting!

      Delete
  6. Good luck, have fun and watch out for cat hair in the wet paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came real close with that cat hair. That little black cat was determined to help!

      Delete
  7. My fiancee's cat does that running thing all the time. He only gets about 2 sprints but it's so random.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why cats do that, but it's quite common.

      Delete
  8. Have fun painting today Martha! If you get frustrated, just remember why you're doing this. Hope it turns out well. It can't be any worse than what was there before, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Cathy. It can't be any worse! No matter what, it is now much, much better.

      Delete
  9. Martha, you have 'pushed' me to get my butt going on our bathroom which is in dire need of a paint job! I love to paint and spring is the best time I think. No cat to get in the way here but Sophie.......good luck and happy painting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, spring is certainly a good time for these jobs, so get moving, JIM! LOL... And make sure you don't paint Sophie!

      Delete
  10. You are brave. My powder room has hideous wallpaper from when the house was built in the early 90's and I can't even bring myself to start the job of removing it and painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all the preparation that is tiresome. The painting part is the fun part!

      Delete
  11. Oooh exciting! Will you show us the end result?
    I like painting..for about 5 min, ha ha, then I get bored and sloppy.
    Have fun! I can tell already you're going to do an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out pretty good for someone who hasn't painted in so long. Not perfect, but certainly good enough to make me happy!

      Delete
  12. Brings back memories, Martha... not good ones. I used to enjoy painting in the pre-kids, pre-cats world. Then we bought a rental property and I decided to remove the ugly wallpaper. Yep, that's right, ugly wallpaper was just the top layer of 8. I have avoided painting and wallpaper since then. I find it easier to replace the drywall LOL.

    P.S. Love the new Lay's flavour. Miss Grumpy Cat would have a hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top layer of 8?1?! Oh my God! I'd have to be put in a straight jacket after working on something like that!!

      Hahahaha...I love your statement about the drywall!!!

      Delete
  13. I like painting... but I do NOT like the clean-up afterwards!
    And wallpaper? Ugh! I had to remove a lot before I moved into this apartment... and underneath, the plaster was coming off the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, wallpaper...UGH! I cannot stand it. The amount of work required to remove it pushes me over the edge...LOL...

      Delete
  14. I like your line about the bathroom looking like crap. hahahahahahaha!
    You should have posted a before and after picture, Martha - or maybe that is coming??? Anyway I can't wait the find out how it went!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of photos of it when we bought the house. And I took recent ones. If they're worth sharing, I'll do so. But at least it's all done and I'm happy about that!

      Delete