Thursday, April 18, 2013

Every Day Is A Beautiful Day

"Pleasure is spread through the earth
 In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find."

- William Wordsworth -

A few months ago, I happened upon one of the happiest and friendliest cashiers. She chatted with everyone, grinned from ear to ear, and maintained an upbeat attitude even with customers that were grumpy and impatient.

When it was my turn at her cash, she greeted me with a smile and asked “How are you today?” I told her I was fine, thank you, and inquired about her day. She said it was “another beautiful day.”


It wasn’t a beautiful day in terms of weather, and when I mentioned that, she shrugged and said that every day was a beautiful day to her, no matter the weather. I figured that’s because she has such a positive attitude. But that was only part of it.


I found out as we were chatting that for several years she’d been battling different forms of cancer. And so far, she’d beaten every one of them. And lived to see another day. Another week. Another month. Another year. So every day that she was fortunate enough to wake up to was another beautiful day.


I was moved by this woman’s story. Inspired by it. Even humbled. Just that very morning, I’d been complaining about the weather, forgetting to be grateful that I’d lived to see another day.


I’d forgotten that I’m married to the most amazing man in the world, and how fortunate I am to have two healthy and beautiful daughters, a wonderful brother, a very loving mother who is still in this world, loyal and thoughtful friends, and a caring extended family.


I’d forgotten to be grateful for the good life I lead, for having very little reason to complain, for the beautiful, progressive and safe country I live in, and for the magnificent moments I experience every day. Every week. Every month.


I’d forgotten to be thankful for good health, for having enough to eat, for living in a warm and comfortable home, and for being able to share all these blessings with people I love. And with people that love me back.


I’d simply forgotten what’s important that day. Until I met this remarkable woman. Then I remembered. And was grateful for yet another beautiful day.

Because every day that I wake up to see really is a beautiful day.


32 comments:

  1. She is so right. Life is short and precious. And despite all the sadness and pain, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it truly is. And once in awhile, we need a reminder.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, Martha. A lesson to keep in mind. I hope the cashier who inspired you continues to enjoy good health and to pass along her message of gratitude and positive thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she continues with good health, too. She was one of the nicest people I've ever run across. And certainly a blessing in this world. And we do need more people like that around.

      Delete
  3. Amazing images and important, no -- imperative thoughts -- to live by. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. This woman comes to mind often; I was quite moved by her.

      Delete
  4. Nice piece of writing. Life us precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. But sometimes we forget just how much.

      Delete
  5. Too true, Martha. We all need reminding to be grateful for just waking up and having another day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure do, Sulky. But as long as we do remember, I think we're okay.

      Delete
  6. beautiful post Martha; thanks for reminding us

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so true! Thanks for the reminder and I love the geese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have plenty of geese around here, and I always enjoy taking photos of them!

      Delete
  8. Such a beautiful post, Martha ~ words and pictures. We are indeed fortunate. I often think that I am one of the luckiest women that has ever lived. I am so grateful! Your cashier was so right! How wonderful that she is winning her battles one by one ~ and celebrating the wonder of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hope she continues to win. She's such a nice lady, and she should continue to be a part of this world.

      Delete
  9. I love this. A beautiful reminder for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run across people like her now and then, and consider that a blessing!

      Delete
  10. Gratitude is definitely where it's at. I find I have to remind myself of this quite often. Thanks for an inspiring post, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We simply forget sometimes. That's just being human.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful pictures (nice to see more of you!), and beautiful cashier lady! She is so right -- every day IS beautiful, as perfect as it could possibly be. Our attitudes to life make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for my husband, there'd hardly be any photos of me. He enjoys taking my picture...says he wants to capture these moments with me. Funny thing is, I take photos of him for the same reason!

      Yes, our attitudes to life certainly make a difference. I try to stay positive as much as possible. I really don't have much to complain about, and feel guilty when I do!

      Delete
  12. Long time no see, missed your silliness (will check them shortly *_*) That was a beautiful story and the pictures as well! Is it not amazing when we realize that others can be so uplifting- show us what we have and make us grateful and thankful for what we have, even the little things in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice! Nice to see you here. I've been visiting your blogs but just haven't been commenting. I've been very busy these days and sometimes have trouble keeping up.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful post, Martha! And absolutely right on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need this slap into reality once in awhile...LOL...

      Delete
  14. Great post, Martha! We all need to be reminded from time to time to be happy to wake up and live fully in all our moments of the day. Thank you for this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you need this reminder, Cathy. I think you know perfectly well about the gratitude this woman feels!

      Delete
  15. Sending good luck wishes and healthy vibes to that cashier!

    When I started my current job, I figured I could either let my grumpy customers bring me down, or be cheerful and optimistic no matter what - I chose the second option, and it's made my life so much better. I do my best to make my customers leave with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I did customer service, I was the same way. You have to shrug off grumpy customers or you won't be able to handle that type of job. And I find that when you're pleasant, sometimes the grumpy customer will change their own attitude. It's hard to be mean to someone who is so nice to you. Makes you a jerk!

      Delete