Monday, April 22, 2013

Garden Awakenings

With the weather acting crazy, the garden has been struggling to get started. But I think we might finally start enjoying spring. Not many of my plants have been eager to get going, and the flower beds are pretty bare, but there are signs of life.




It’s hard to believe that these tiny little spurts of growth will lead to beautiful, lush plants that will showcase amazing blooms. But that’s what will happen.




Clematis ‘Niobe’ has been gracing my garden since 2010, and is one of my favourite garden plants. There are oodles of flower buds preparing to open.



Hyacinth Jacinthe is slowly emerging. I can’t wait to get a whiff of that rich, spicy scent that the flowers exude.



Crocus Jeanne D'arc is supposed to be an early bloomer, but it took its time getting started. It’s been difficult getting photos of the blooms because they close when the elements are not to their liking.



The stars of the show up until now have been the daffodils. No matter the weather, they never disappoint. They are one of the most beautiful signs of spring.


 
 
Many of the other plants are showing signs of life, and it’s only a matter of time before the garden is overflowing with lovely flowers. Can’t wait!
 

What’s growing on in your part of the world?

20 comments:

  1. We have just a few daffs open -- still waiting for the tulips. Hopefully, they'll bloom before May arrives? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been the longest winter! Your photos are gorgeous.I'm starting to see signs of life in my own garden - but I better keep my killer paws off it to give it a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has been the longest winter, and I think we're all sick of it! I am SO ready for some warm weather and some greenery.

      Delete
  3. Our tulips are starting to push up above the earth -- maybe an inch or two now. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely tulips! That's one of the most beautiful signs of spring.

      Delete
  4. It IS an exciting time of year for sure, Martha!!
    Let me see....we have snowdrops, crocii, bloodroot. and helibore. Lots on the way too but we aren't as far south as you. Have fun in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of wonderful things on the way! I hope we have a nice season coming up, so we can't get out there and enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Your photos and signs of Spring cheer me up. We are still not there yet and I"m struggling, so thank you!
    I'm happy you get to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's certainly been one heck of a long tunnel...LOL...

      Delete
  6. I need to see flowers! Thank you so much, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all do. Winter stuck around longer than we'd like it to!

      Delete
  7. Your emerging flowers are looking wonderful! We still have lots of some snow. I did see a few scillia starting to push up through the ground though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring has taken a long time this year to come around. I'm sure your snow won't last much longer, and the flowers will begin to rise.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! Hurray for spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so pretty! The daffodils look especially happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of these flowers are happy faces. They look like they're smiling.

      Delete