Monday, April 1, 2013

Spring May Finally Be Here

Happy April, everyone! And good riddance to March, which came in like a lion, and pretty much stayed in that form for most of the month. But it’s gone now, taking all its rage with it, and April will gives us better days ahead. It has to. Or I will go stark raving mad!


The garden is slowly beginning to wake up, and despite the lousy weather last month, the daffodils and tulips have been attempting to grow since the end of February.


Of course, that growth came to a halt for most of March, but in the past few days, the plants have started rising rapidly. With confidence. And courage. And hope. And it won’t be long before the flowers appear.


Some of the perennials are also showing signs of growth, and I’m looking forward to all the lovely blooms that they’ll put forward. And all the beautiful photos that I’ll be able to take of them.


Last year, we had a very hot and dry summer, and it took a toll on the garden. Some plants managed to survive that tough period, others met their demise. In addition, I didn’t get to spend as much time in the garden, and certainly didn’t finish all the projects I had lined up.


I’m hoping for a wonderful spring and a summer that isn’t too hot and dry that will allow me to move forward in the garden. How the blog fares in the next few months is anyone’s guess. It all depends on what needs to be done, and how busy I get. I may very well continue to post every day. I’ve managed to do that for a long time. Or I may not. We’ll see. There are a few things that are guaranteed to happen, though:

There will be plenty of photos of the garden and my backyard visitors over the next few months, along with photos of places we visit and explore on our day trips. And Saturday Silliness with all its cartoons and humour will be uninterrupted. This blog would not be the same without some laughs.
 

A wonderful month, to all!

(P.S – The ‘Totally Funkalicious Blog’ award has been put on hold for now. I’ll introduce it again later in the year.)

32 comments:

  1. Yes it appears that the earth is slowly awakening from its slumber :)

    Hope you had a nice Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope it is. I woke up this morning to a dusting of snow outside. ACK!

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean Martha. I spend far too much time on my computer and I need to cut back because it takes up far too much time. I don't know how you've managed to be such a prolific poster. Amazing. I hope your garden turns out the way you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get on the computer at specific times and that's it! A lot of my blog posts are scheduled, so some weeks I only post a couple of times and get it over with. But I may cut back if I need to. We will see.

      Delete
  3. I have just found you and am now a follower. I can't wait to see your flowers bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I'm always happy to meet new bloggers :)

      Delete
  4. March Winds
    And April Showers
    Bring Forth
    May Flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...but it doesn't say snow in there! Which is what there is outside this morning...

      Delete
  5. Your daffs are soooo far ahead of ours. We just have snowdrops and minimum crocus dotting the landscape. That's OK April will(fingers crossed) be perfect.
    Looking frwd to your garden pics through the growing season ~~~ not to mention your jokes ~~~ always putting a smile on my mug!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually surprised that my crocus are not in the lead. Those are the first flowers to rise each spring. Makes me wonder if they survived the heat and drought from last year. I hope so!

      Delete
  6. Hello Martha,
    greetings from Guildwood (Toronto-East). I was searching for Ardisia crenata information and found your blog. I bought the plant last year before Christmas, love the plant. My Ardisia plant still features many red berries and is now showing the first small buds.
    Love to return to your blog and became your newest Google friend too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to have you here! Ardisia crenata is such a lovely plant. And when its filled with berries, it's stunning!

      Delete
  7. good luck to your garden, I hope it grows beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you are a couple weeks ahead of us Martha. But it is not a race.....just looking forward to the coming months and digging around in the garden. We have tons of things to do as I am sure you do too. So I for one understand you may be too busy to even think of blogging. Being outside and getting the hands dirty is so much better for us.
    I look forward to what ever you have to offer here Martha. Enjoy your garden time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it certainly isn't a race! I think we're just happy that spring is here. I still haven't been able to really get out there. The weather is not quite where I'd like it to be. This morning I woke up to a dusting of snow!!!

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to see them blooming! I like the rose shaped green plant and wish I could have a garden. Thanks for sharing yours with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favourite time of year. It's always exciting - and quite fascinating - the way the plants and trees awaken!

      Delete
  10. Happy April, Martha! so nice to see pictures of your garden growing again! I am with you hoping for a not too hot summer this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's hope summer isn't as hot and dry as last year. It was simply awful.

      Delete
  11. look at those beautiful flowers making their way! Hope you get lots of blooms soon! we could all use a little color!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we could certainly use some colour. It's been much too long!

      Delete
  12. You have things popping out of the earth! I'm happily jealous of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll have them popping out very soon!

      Delete
  13. wow Martha how beautiful to see them spring to life like this. you have such a green thumb... I am a well known plant serial killer... even cactus' don't resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be so hard on yourself, Ana! A green thumb comes with practice. No one is born with it!

      Delete
  14. Your bulbs have a very fresh, determined look about them :) We're hoping for a bit more rain here -- don't they say "April showers"? But perhaps that doesn't apply to the tropics haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are determined. Although they're probably tired of the snow by now. I like April showers because it's good all around. I just wish it would rain in the middle of the night...:)

      Delete
  15. Your plants are further along than ours. Thankfully most of our snow is gone and we have rain forecast for the end of the week. I agree good riddance to March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised they are growing at all! March was really hard on them. Our snow is also pretty much gone, and I hope I don't see any until the end of the year!

      Delete
  16. Wow..how gorgeous..your garden is so full of life..beautiful and uplifting....we still have a bit of snow here! Enjoy your new treasures..lucky gal!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's waking up a little more each day. I can't wait till all the flowers emerge, and the garden is filled with beautiful colours!

      Delete