Thursday, April 4, 2013

My Favourite Backyard Visitor Is Back!

Mr. Inski has returned! I’m certain he’s been out and about for awhile, but I hadn’t put out any food for him until recently, so he didn’t visit. Quite the opportunist, our Mr. Inski, but cute as a button.



He’s still a little nervous around me, but once I start spending a lot of time in the garden, he’ll be so used to my presence that he won’t think twice about it. Last year there was a Mr. Inski that was so trusting he would take peanuts from my hand. And I would squeal with delight.



Now that this little critter has discovered that I put food out, he’ll be coming around for the next few months. Daily. The little opportunist. But cute as a button.



Mr. Inski’s goal is to gather and store food for the winter, which he will gnaw away at until spring returns and he surfaces. And he does a fine job of gathering food, let me tell you. At my expense.



My heart just fills with joy when my favourite backyard critters stop by. Like this pint-sized cutie. I’d like to scoop him up, squeeze him (gently of course), and plant a kiss on top of his furry head. Which, no doubt, would freak him out.


His full name is Mr. Butt Inski, by the way. Click here for why we named him this. Of course, it could be a Mrs. Inski. Hmmmm....

22 comments:

  1. Hee hee.. we have mynah opportunists because we always put out bread and crumbs for them; they aren't quite as cute as Mr. Inski though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I love the opportunists because they add so much life into my garden!

      Delete
  2. It's fun to see all the creatures returning. Mr. & Mrs. Cardinal have been around for about 1 week in our back yard. We also have a pair of mallard ducks that we call George and Gracie. Our neighbours call them Catherine and Heathcliff. I'm so glad to see Mr. Inski has returned to your place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mallard ducks! Now that is funny. I wonder if it's the couple that popped into my yard last year. They just dropped in like it was such a normal thing, walked around the flower beds quacking away and finally took off. It was the cutest thing!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It sure is. It is always more fun with him around.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mr.Inski! He is filling up alright! Look at those cheeks! Just like the hamsters I had as a kid.
    I haven't seen a chipmunk around here in the 22 years we've been here. They are in other areas of Nova Scotia.....
    By the looks of it Mr.Inski will be all set come winter!! Oh sorry, I said the 'W' word!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, Jim. No matter how hard he tries, old man winter is being kicked to the curb. Spring is finally coming around.

      Delete
  5. Perfect name courtesy hubby!! So smart that man is!

    Mr/Mrs 'Butt' Inski is a cutie patootie indeed!

    We love/used to love feeding the animals, but since we are near a port city, well, some unwanted animals began frequenting our place ~~ so we had to stop. Oh well, such is life. We enjoyed the birds and smaller animals for a long time.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. Nothing really nasty has shown up. There are a lot of rabbits in the area, and occasionally I see raccoons, but we haven't had any real problems.

      Delete
  6. Mr. Inski is adorable!! These are some amazing captures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a favourite around here. Really puts a smile on my face every time he dashes around the garden.

      Delete
  7. Squeeee!
    Oh! I am in love.

    How do you stop yourself from grabbing him? I love the photo where his tail is poker straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't...but he runs away when I try to grab him...LOL...

      Delete
  8. oh he is so cute! I love his chubby little cheeks all full of corn and nuts! we have a squirrel in the backyard that is a favorite who runs up the tree in circles and the then down, and close to the ground does a little backflip off the tree. Fun! We call him Charlie - Crazy Charlie. I am so happy to see my backyard critters coming around again! Yeah for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I love that...Crazy Charlie! I think I have a few of them coming by. Squirrels are a lot of fun. I don't really mind when they stop by.

      Delete
  9. S/he's back and as cute as ever! Looking forward to seeing more of his/her escapades this year! Your pictures are so wonderful, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Francie. I've no doubt that there'll be lots of these types of photos. I have to take them while he's out and about because he goes underground for months when we start heading into winter!

      Delete