Thursday, May 2, 2013

Come Along For A Stroll

So the teeny tiny bathroom that I was preparing to paint on Tuesday morning is done, and I am pleased with it. All it needs now is some decorating. I’ll take photos and share them later on.

I’ve been insanely busy all spring, and will continue to be for quite some time. But  despite the frantic pace, I make sure to squeeze in some fun. Particularly the type that includes the outdoors. I’ve written before how much I love to go for walks. And with the lovely weather we have been experiencing, the most amazing man in the world and I have been taking evening strolls.

I invite you to come along with us on a recent stroll around our neighbourhood. And I’ll show you a few photos I took along the way.

The spring bulbs are growing like weeds!
On our evening walks, I do not bring along my bulky DSLR. For those moments, my trusty point and shoot is the star of the show.

I can never leave the house without taking some garden photos first.
These photos are taken by the small but fabulous Canon PowerShot SX260HS. I received this as a Christmas present by the most amazing man in the world. If you are in the market for a point  and shoot camera, I highly recommend this one.

This pond is in a green space behind our home.
In addition to its ability to take great macro images, it also has a 20x optical zoom that gets you close to subjects that are far away.

Looking quite proud up there.
It is an ideal travel companion when you don’t feel like lugging around heavier equipment. It’s certainly my camera of choice on our walks.

This small creek is also in the green space behind our home.
I always take a camera along with me no matter where I go because there are photo opportunities everywhere. Particularly in this amazing place in Canada.

There are pine cones everywhere. I've been collecting some to add to the flower
beds to discourage cats from using them as littler boxes. Hopefully it works.
Kingston is one of Canada’s most beautiful cities. Rich in history, culture, attractions, festivals, activities and acclaimed cuisine... what’s there not to love about it?

With a camera in hand, everything becomes a photograph.
We are near Lake Ontario, and surrounded by lovely green spaces. If you want to get in touch with nature, you don’t need to go very far. In our case, you'll find it just around the corner of our home.

There are some beautiful trees growing in back of our home.
Behind our home is a charming green space that is full of trees and happy little critters. Every morning, I wake up to the sounds of birds happily singing away.


The sun is going down and the birds are settling down for the night.
And the best thing of all is that I get to share all this with the most amazing man in the world.

This is the most amazing man in the world.
Have a fabulous day!

34 comments:

  1. O wow, such beautiful pictures! Canon PowerShot huh? I am in the market for a new camera -- an easy one, I hate instruction manuals! My present one is old by today's standards and is even making creaking noises (I also hear something jiggling INSIDE it lol). What is that gorgeous bird? And do Canadian suburbs generally (what the most amazing man is standing) look like that?I remember Markham and Scarborough did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very pleased with the performance of this camera. I think you'll really like it. It's very compact, and yet, very powerful.

      The bird in the image is a grackle. People consider them pesky because they raid the feeders, but I don't mind them. Plus, I love photographing them!

      I think most Canadian suburbs are quite similar. The older cities have a unique charm to them with their historical areas, but for the most part, they resemble one another.

      Delete
  2. O good grief, I just noticed the typing errors. I meant "WHERE" he's standing haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't worry about that! I usually know what someone is trying to say and recognize that it's a typo. I make those mistakes quite often because I type so quickly!

      Delete
  3. It's definitely getting springy out! My wife and I should put in some of those bulbs that just come up every year on their own. THey look cool and I think most of the work is only that first year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of the work is in that first year. They are a beautiful sight come spring!

      Delete
  4. Great photos! Enjoyed them very much. My Rare One uses those big pointy pine cones in our flower beds too to discourage the neighbourhood cat poopsters. They work quite well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea came from you! You mentioned the pine cones in a post I wrote last year about how annoyed I was that cats were pooping all over my flower beds. I owe that to you!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Martha for the neighbourhood stroll. I now have a clearer picture of your place. The walk was so interesting and calming. Thanks for the camera info. I DO know what you mean about hefty/bulky camera stuff. My neck is always aching. I don't have a point and shoot, imagine that! Something to definitely to consider!
    Jim, I believe caught your spring fever. Doing your bathroom gave him the idea that the hardwood floors(20 years+ old) need recovering. Oh the smell. He's out buying water-based stuff now.

    Cheers
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd love a point and shoot when you want to carry light. It comes in so handy, and I take it along everywhere. Just put it in a pocket and away I go! Of course, I do love my DSLR, and can't imagine being without it!

      Uh-oh! Looks like my home renovation fever is contagious! Well, at least you'll have nice new floors :)

      Delete
    2. 1/2 way through them now....my arms feel like lead and you know the smell is bearable. If we had used varathane I'd be stoned by now.

      Delete
    3. Thank goodness the smell is okay because you would definitely be stoned. And have one of them massive headaches that come from inhaling something strong! You guys should take photos (you probably are!) and share the results with us. I'd love to see the updates.

      Delete
  6. That camera sure does take great pictures, but I'm sure most of the credit goes to the photographer. Nice spring shots. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doug! Let's just say that the camera and I work together!

      Delete
  7. Such a pretty walk! I really liked the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really live in a beautiful area. I get really angry with people who insist on disrupting beauty with graffiti like they did in that last picture. I can't understand why people are compelled to do this. Even in my younger days I did not spray graffiti. Did a lot of other things but not that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't understand it either. I've never done something like that in my life. What's the point?

      Delete
  9. beautiful stroll ... thanks for taking us with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are great pics! I really love the black bird, it's all shiny. Thanks for tking us with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those black birds shine when the sun hits them! They have such a gorgeous look.

      Delete
  11. How nice to have that green space so close -- I bet you really see some lovely birds over the course of the year. Thank you for the walk -- lots of beauty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see a lot of lovely birds this time of year. Two of my favourites are hummingbirds and orioles. I put out a feeder for them, and literally squeal with delight when they drop by!

      Delete
  12. That was a good stroll Martha, thanks! Kingston sounds and looks so inviting. And you are fortunate to have 'open green spaces' and wildlife so near you. The best of both worlds. I really like the composition of the power towers and tall grass! Nice!
    You two are like teenagers....how nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...yes, sometimes we are like teenagers.

      Kingston is a beautiful place. It's a small city, so there's so much greenery, nature trails and open spaces. We love it here.

      Delete
  13. Let us know if the pinecones work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved going on that walk with you. The willow tree looks at the same stage as the ones on our lake. It's wonderful you have a true love to share all this with! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few willow trees in the green space behind our home, and they are all so beautiful!

      Delete
  15. Love the pictures, such natural beauty around you, and you have the eye and talent to capture it!

    It is also wonderful to have the amazing men in our lives, I hope all find what they are looking for in their partner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a good person to share life with is a wonderful thing. It doesn't have to be a partner. A best friend, a sibling, a daughter or son...it's all good.

      Delete