Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Magnificent Magnolias

Don’t you just love magnolia trees? I sure do. And when we first moved here, I intended to plant one in our backyard. But quickly discovered that I don’t need to. Our neighbours have one in their garden, and a good portion of it hangs over our fence and into our yard, so we get to enjoy the benefits of a full grown magnolia tree with no effort on our part.

And of course, I always take photos each spring when their tree is in full bloom.



One day last summer, the husband next door (the magnolia neighbour) came into our yard to speak with my husband and he was stunned when he saw just how much of his tree is present in our yard. I don’t think he’d ever been in our backyard, and therefore hadn’t realized that the little magnolia tree planted so many years ago had grown so big. Sideways. And into the neighbouring property. He immediately asked whether this bothered us. “Not at all.” hubby told the neighbour. And he meant it.



But can you imagine if we were neighbours that did mind? We have the legal right to trim overhanging tree branches right up to the property line, and if we did exercise that right, about one third of the tree would be chopped off. And this magnificent magnolia would no longer be as magnificent. It would look butchered. I shudder at the thought.



But there’s no need to worry. Being the friendly neighbours and magnolia-loving people that we are, the tree will continue to be magnificent.



As long as we live here, this magnificent magnolia will continue to grace both properties. Intact.


34 comments:

  1. Gorgeous - I'd make it feel welcome as well because it's one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtesy of our neighbours... They plant it, we enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. A borrowed landscape, how great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful!!! Some of our neighbors have them too but none of them grow onto our property :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate to have this beautiful tree so close. I love when it blooms in the spring.

      Delete
  4. Somehow, I had the impression that Magnolias only thrived in southern climes. Maybe it was that whole Magnolia Lane thing in Augusta. This is marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, too, until I moved here. I honestly had no idea we grew Magnolia trees up north. My bad!

      Delete
  5. Nature knows no boundaries....we humans make the boundaries and ruin the magnificence of nature being free. Thank you for sharing these gorgeous photos, Martha. I, too, would like to have a magnolia tree at some point in our backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Cathy. It is definitely us humans that ruin nature's magnificence. We destroy and 'conquer'. Not exactly something we should be proud of.

      I think a magnolia tree would look beautiful in your yard. They have some nice ones at the greenhouses.

      Delete
  6. Magnificent! I've never seen a magnolia in real life. They won't grow out here on the prairies. But I think BC might have them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are stunning, especially when they are blooming. There are a few that grow around here, and in the spring, it's quite a show out there!

      Delete
  7. That is one incredible tree! I am waiting for my lilacs to bloom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilacs are also gorgeous! Another favourite of mine. And the smell...heavenly...

      Delete
  8. Every spring I miss the magnolia that had the same situation as yours... it was planted in my neighbors yard and a large portion of it covered our yard as well. It was GORGEOUS and smelled so wonderful. We like you and your husband had no issue with this marvelous tree sharing our space, we welcomed it!!

    Lucky you!! Thank you for sharing the pictures, I am more than just a little bit jealous LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when you can share these types of trees, or any garden treasures for that matter, with neighbours. We are lucky for this!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. There are two houses for sale on our street! Move here and you'll have some nice neighbours...including us! :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful. And I'm glad you have such a nice neighbour. Mine is not very nice or friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, Francie. I would love to have you as a neighbour.

      Delete
  11. So gorgeous! I love them too. I like how you get to share the tree:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! And what nice neighbours you are and have. When I think of some of ours... well, it takes all sorts as they say... Thankfully, our neighbours on the side with the encroaching garden are quite decent and come at us with roses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all our neighbours are great like that, but at least the ones right next to us are. They are quiet and friendly, and we all get along wonderfully. (Sigh of relief!)

      Delete
  13. As it should!! I love the Tulip Magnolia!! And how lucky for you guys to have one near that is so magnificent!!
    The photos really do that tree justice Martha. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I think of it, too, Jim...a tulip Magnolia. The flowers are astoundingly beautiful.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful Pic's.
    Magnolias are a favorite of mine but very hard to grow here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I love to photograph these beautiful wonders of nature.

      Delete
  15. such a beautiful flowers :)

    now following you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Happy Okta, and welcome. I will visit your site later today.

      Delete
  16. they are so beautiful! i've always associated magnolias with Spring so Spring without magnolias doesnt feel like Spring to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I see it. Magnolias are a sign of spring!

      Delete