Tuesday, June 4, 2013

In The Garden

This spring is cooler. Much cooler. And wetter. I’m thankful for all this. The garden is, too. There are flowers blooming everywhere, and they are lasting very long.


Last year, it was extremely hot and dry for almost the entire year. I didn’t like it. Neither did my garden. The plants were overly stressed. But not this spring. This spring they are overjoyed.



As a result of the extreme heat and drought last year, many plants departed for the big greenhouse in the sky. One heartbreaking loss was my two Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’ plants. Neither one returned this year, which was very upsetting. I picked up a new one last week, and I will do everything possible to keep it alive and well.


The garden is thriving in the cooler temperatures. Everything looks green and healthy and happy.



It’s also been easier to get outside and get some work done. I’ve spent hours on end putting the garden back together after last year’s negligence due to the heat, and it’s really paying off.



There are still a lot of empty spaces in the flower beds that we created, and it will take years before we are fully done with the entire vision of our garden. But we’re having fun along the way. Well, I am mostly. The garden is really my baby.


This year’s garden highlight will be the addition of a pond. I can’t express how overjoyed I am about this! Can you say DELIRIOUSLY HAPPY?


We may also start adding stones around the flower beds to begin the aesthetical touches to the garden. It will all depend on how far we can stretch the garden budget.


But even if we don’t get to the stones, I don’t mind. Because we’re adding a pond, and you just can’t top that.


So that’s what’s happening in the garden. A lot of lovely flowers and beautiful foliage springing up everywhere. With a lot more to follow. And lovely additions coming up to keep me deliriously happy.


Have a wonderful day, everyone!


30 comments:

  1. Wow, your flowers are so beautiful!!! I don't think we have flowers like these here. The sun would probably melt them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the sun would! Last year when it was record-breaking hot, many of the plants DID melt!

      Delete
  2. Your garden is beautiful! And I know what you mean about a cooler, wetter Spring, we have had that even in Georgia and our plants LOVE it!
    And you will have a POND? I am so happy for you! Looking forward to the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled about the cooler and wetter spring. It's really helped the garden come back to life --- and kept me from melting while I'm working out there!

      Delete
  3. Wow. Those images are powerful and beautiful. You must have some green thumb going there. my daughter is my contribution to the gardening world-she has the time and the patience like you must, she also feels the pain when she loses a much loved plant. Thank you for sharing your garden. Its cold and chilly here as well. Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have the patience for the garden because it's a way of relaxing and staying focused. When I'm out there, I forget about everything else and enjoy the sights, smells and sounds that Mother Nature has to offer. It's quite meditative!

      Delete
  4. Your garden is looking very pretty at the moment with so many lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming alive one plant at a time. A little later this year because of the longer winter, but no matter.

      Delete
  5. Very, very pretty. You are obviously quite talented. The only thing I can grow is weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the pond! I was just reading about how to turn discarded tires into small ponds. As always Martha your photos are gorgeous, you bring your garden to life for all of us reading you, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Discarded tires into ponds? That is very interesting! And a great way to keep those tires out of landfills.

      Thank you for the nice comments about my photos!

      Delete
  7. Goodness! Your macro shots are amazing! Gorgeous effect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a difference for us too Martha between last year and this year. I agree, the cooler temps make everything last longer.
    When we were just starting out our garden (over 20 years now) we started at one end and worked to the other....had no clue what we were doing but learned along the way with the help of books (now internet) and TV shows.....some things worked and some didn't.
    You know what I love about gardening and the people who do it? Well, their gardens reflect the joy they bring to it. We are at the 'maintenance' stage with ours now and seldom add anything new and we know how disappointing it is to lose anything...but that is how it is.
    A water feature!!! That will be fascinating. Beautiful photos by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal is to eventually get to that wonderful maintenance stage, but that's a long way from now. But that's okay. Getting there is half the fun! I'm also learning along the way, but with so much information available because of the internet, it's so much easier than it was a couple of decades ago.

      Delete
  9. What absolutely gorgeous photos! Beautiful.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sharp and beautiful images, Martha. I'm glad you have your garden to keep you at peace.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what it does...keep me at peace!

      Delete
  11. Wow! You take great photos! I'm sorry about your jack frost plants maybe they'll come back if you keep watering them? I have a mint that does that; it comes back later every year. It's great your getting a pond! Are you going to put minnows in? They'll help keep the algae down. You have the best plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watering and watering but the little buggers don't want to return from the big greenhouse in the sky! LOL... How I had hoped.

      I hadn't thought of minnows. I'll have to look into that!

      Delete
  12. Your garden is so beautiful; there are so many plants and flowers in it that we don't get here, so it's a real treat to see them up close. Is that an iris? Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's an iris! It is so beautiful. My elderly neighbour gave them to me a few years back. She has since passed away, and I always think of her with these flowers.

      Delete
  13. I just realized you had this blog as well. Very nice. Love flowers. They are fun to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I've got this blog, as well. And it's my primary one. It's been around much longer than the photo blog.

      Delete