Friday, June 28, 2013

Sunny Side Up

"Canadian pride may not rest on our sleeves, but it resides deeply in our hearts."
 - Steve Miller -

Let’s end the week and kick off Canada Day weekend with a video of a song that is quite popular with us Canucks. I’ve included the lyrics below for those who are curious about them, and for anyone who wants to sing along.



"Canadian, Please"

Yeah I know that you wanna be Canadian, please
Even if in winter things tend to freeze
We've got the world monopoly on trees
And our country's bordered by three different seas

Yeah I know that you wanna be Canadian, please
We invented the zipper, we've got expertise
We made insulin to combat disease
Yeah I know that you wanna be Canadian, please

♫ Brits have got the monarchy
The US has the money
But I know that you wanna be Canadian

The French have got the wine and cheese
Koalas chill with the Aussies
But I know that you wanna be Canadian ♫

Et si ce n'était pas assez
On a deux langues officielles:
L'anglais et le français Ooh la la

Yeah I know that you wanna be Canadian, please
Where else do you find mounted police
Or go to the hospital and not pay fees
Yeah I know that you wanna be Canadian, please

And when freshwater is in high demand
We've got the world's largest supply on hand
So you know that we could make a pretty good friend
But it's even better if you can be...

♫ Brits have got the monarchy
The US has the money.
But I know that you wanna be Canadian

The French have got the wine and cheese
Koalas chill with the Aussies.
But I know that you wanna be Canadian ♫

So you're thinking to yourself,
"How do I live in this beautiful country?"
Well we've got some steps for you to follow...

STEP 1: Lose the gun
STEP 2: Buy a canoe.
STEP 3: Live multiculturally
STEP 4: You're ready, there is no more!

We got beavers, caribou and moose
We got buffalos, bears, and Canadian goose
And we're sorry about Celine Dion
But she did do that good song for James Cameron...

♫ Brits have got the monarchy
The US has the money
But I know that you wanna be Canadian

The French have got the wine and cheese
Koalas chill with the Aussies
But I know that you wanna be Canadian

The Greek chilled out with Socrates
Can't build a wall like the Chinese
But I know that you wanna be Canadian

In Kenya they have safaris
We've missed lots of other countries
But I know that you wanna be Canadian ♫ ♫

A wonderful weekend, to all.

And to my fellow Canucks:
Have a happy Canada Day, eh?

27 comments:

  1. The perfect video for Canada Day! That song is catchy but it stays in my head FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sticks in your head forever! When I was putting together this post, I swear I must have played the video at least 20 times!

      Delete
  2. Happy Canada Day!!! And, thank you for Nanaimo bars!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and you're welcome! Now I have a craving for one of those bars...

      Delete
  3. LOVE this! Very catchy! have a good one Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's extremely catchy. Be careful, Jim, 'cause it stays in your head forever.

      Delete
  4. I am a little speechless at this song.
    It has made me smile xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit, it's pretty darn catchy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Happy Canada Day!!! Haha what a cool song!! I showed Mommy and she was all excited going "The Bay! CN Tower!! Eaton Centre!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...she is so funny! And she certainly knows quite a bit about Canada :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, she asks if you still have Coffee Crisp? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we certainly do. It's one of my favourite chocolate bars!

      Delete
  8. My head, my Canadian Head....it'll never ever be the same!!

    Have a great w/e Martha and fam!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...yes, this song gets stuck in your head! Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

      Delete
  9. Happy Canada Day to you! Great song and video. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is hysterically fun. I love the apology for Celine Dione. You are forgiven. Actually, I've always wanted to be Canadian. My mom is from Canada, so I like to boast that I'm half Canadian: the better half.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I love my neighbours to the south! I have family and friends there and I have traveled to a few places...and loved them all!

      Delete
  11. Genial vídeo!!
    Saludos
    http://judithbysucre.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha hahaha Raise the cup!! How long since that has happened, eh?? Anyway loved this post and I'm wishing you a wonderful Canada Day, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are having a fantastic day, Francie. I finished feeding the teens, and I'm taking a coffee break!

      Delete
  13. Too funny, Martha! I hadn't seen this video before, but I definitely recognized some of those steps! Happy Canada Day! (Which of course, I remember as Happy Dominion Day!)

    ReplyDelete