Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Today's Trivia - Dreaming

I was reading an article about dreaming awhile back, and learned a few interesting things. Apparently, during a full eight hours of sleep, two hours of it is spent dreaming. And although the average person has three to five dreams per night, up to seven can be had. That’s a lot of dreaming. Personally, I barely ever remember mine, so whether I have three or five or seven or seventeen dreams, it doesn’t make a difference.


But the amount of dreams and their length isn’t what fascinated me. Nope. What fascinated me is that the human brain can’t invent the image of people, so the so-called ‘strangers’ that you meet in your dreams have the faces of people you’ve seen at some point in your life even if it was only for a split second. Which means that the ax murderer chasing you down the street could be the young man who used to bag your family’s groceries when you were a little kid. During your lifetime, you run across a lot of people, therefore the brain has a huge cast of characters to write into its dream scripts.

Also, scientists believe that besides humans other mammals as well as birds also dream.

Hmmm...I wonder what my cats dream about.


19 comments:

  1. I've always wondered who those faces belonged to lol - very interesting!!!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faces you've seen at one point. That sweet little old lady that gave out the best Halloween candy becomes the serial killer in your dreams...LOL...

      Delete
  2. That is interesting! I didn't know that about faces - I wonder if it also includes faces we've seen in photos or on TV or the movies? I might not run so fast if Daniel Craig was chasing me!! As for animals - I love watching dogs "chase rabbits!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good question, Francie. Logically, I would think it does. Hmmm....

      Hahaha...I'm totally with you. I don't think I'd run very fast, either, if Daniel Craig was chasing me... :)

      Delete
    2. That is a very good question, Francie. Logically, I would think it does. Hmmm....

      Hahaha...I'm totally with you. I don't think I'd run very fast, either, if Daniel Craig was chasing me... :)

      Delete
  3. WOW, so that's why random people I know show up in my dreams in the most, Uh Hum, uncomfortable situations. I just always thought it was because I was a perv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, interesting factoid about human faces in dreams. Not sure if I'm glad that I know that now. Anyway, HRH dreams of world domination. Even when she's awake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HRH must know my cats. They dream the same big dreams...the few minutes they're awake ;)

      Delete
  5. our dogs dreamed a lot, sometimes they would bark in their sleep and move their legs as if running :) it was fascinating to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems dogs do that a lot. I guess they enjoy chasing, and running around...even while they sleep!

      Delete
  6. Maybe that is why they seem so real! They are filled with people we have met along the way!
    I know Sophie dreams as she twitches and makes noises when she is asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and that's why the feelings they bring on can be so intense!

      Delete
  7. I'm pretty sure animals dream! Our dog's leg look like she's running ... we call it chasing bunnies in her sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's probably chasing bunnies in her sleep...and having a grand old time!

      Delete
  8. Thats really interesting. My dogs dream and bark in their sleep. I dream of terribly important things but like you can never remember them. I think i dream most just before I wake up. I always mean to write them down but never do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always tell myself to do the same thing (write the dreams down) but within a few minutes I've already forgotten them!

      Delete
  9. You've led me to wonder, too, what animals dream about. Too bad they can't tell us.

    I dream about people I miss, whether they're alive or not, and I see them vividly in my dreams. This is usually a nice thing.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be the most amazing thing if animals could talk!

      Delete