Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Photo Dump – At The Zoo (1)

"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But can they suffer?"
- Jeremy Bentham -

In august of this year, we visited the Toronto Zoo; one of the largest of its kind in the world, encompassing 287 hectares (710 acres). We had taken a trip there last year, and just like our previous visit, I was conflicted. While I enjoy seeing the animals, I do not enjoy seeing them behind bars.

It breaks my heart knowing that the survival of many of these animals is threatened, and that it is our species that poses the biggest threat. Imagine how lonely the human race would be without the companionship of these beautiful creatures. This planet belongs to all living beings, and we must do right by them.

This week’s photo dump focuses on some of the animals at the Toronto Zoo with quotations accompanying each image. Because there were so many photos taken that day, I will post more in the future.

"Until he extends the circle of compassion to all livings things, Man will not himself find peace."
- Albert Schweitzer -

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
- Mahatma Gandhi -

"If all the beasts were gone, man would die from loneliness of spirit,
for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man."
- Chief Seattle -

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it
may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
- Arthur Schopenhauer -

"Love of animals is a universal impulse, a common ground on which all of us may meet.
By loving and understanding animals, perhaps we humans shall come to understand each other."
- Dr Louis J.Camuti -

"Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion
to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty."
- Albert Einstein -

"By ethical conduct toward all creatures, we enter into a spiritual relationship with the universe."
- A. Schweitzer -


"I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human,
but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth."
- Mohatma Gandhi -

“One cannot look deeply into the eyes of an animal and not see the same depth,
complexity and feeling us humans lay exclusive claim to.”
- Nan Sea Love -

"The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different." 
- Hippocrates -

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

36 comments:

  1. They are beyond beautiful Martha each and every one of them have their own special beauty, I just hate it when they are in a cage, they should all be free x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine. And I agree that they should all be free. The only time animals belong in places like this is to breed and protect endangered species.

      Delete
  2. Your photos are beautifully composed as always, Martha. Other than for breeding of seriously endangered species, there seems little reason to cage animals in modern times, when they can be remotely studied and easily enjoyed in their natural habitat through technology. At least Thika, Toka, and Iringa are now in a climate a little more conducive to health, though not necessarily happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Monique! I think breeding programs are great, and I do support that!

      Delete
  3. I don't go to the zoo very often as it's heartbreaking to see all the wonderful creatures in cages but your captures are truly beautiful, Martha and wonderful quotes as well.

    I wish you a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By attending, I'm guilty of supporting this, so I'm just as guilty! Some of the animals there are endangered, and the zoo has breeding programs for them. Those are the ones that I'm okay with.

      Delete
  4. Nice photos . I haven't been to the zoo for about 20 odd years . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't often go, but since we've moved here, the Toronto zoo is not too far away, and it's become a yearly outing.

      Delete
  5. I just want to pet that big polar bear but I'm sure he would have me for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha...yes, you'd be a nice tasty treat! I love those darn polar bears. If I could safely hug one, I certainly would!

      Delete
  6. I'm amazed by how much emotion you captured, and I love the flamingo's twisty neck.

    Be well, Martha.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Animals are very expressive, and the camera sometimes captures that.

      Delete
  7. beautiful photos, they show your love of animals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful, thought provoking and heart breaking post. Your photos are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course, all the photography and quotes are stellar … but I never heard the one by Hippocrates …. I have ALWAYS believed that ...

    "The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different."

    or this one …. I haven't heard of her… just googled … going to follow her on Facebook! love this…. and exactly… animals have a wonderful sense of humor… look at their eyes and expressions you captured…

    “One cannot look deeply into the eyes of an animal and not see the same depth,
    complexity and feeling us humans lay exclusive claim to.”
    - Nan Sea Love -

    I go to zoos. I like the ones who have the animals in an environment made just for them ~ not in cages. Sad that their environments are so compromised by man that we have to save them by creating false environments…. SIGH

    I have watched dolphins eyeball me… on their sides ~ hilarious… well, they think I'm pretty hilarious I reckon.. HAHAaaa as well as the BIRDS … love the birds and the primates and all animals… even a wart hog … one guy was running right along ~ tail up in the air … I was on a little bridge going over HIS place … I stopped and said hey… so did he.. HAhaa… always think of Pumba and Timon…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Carolyn. I really like the quote from Hippocrates because I truly believe that, too. It's ridiculous, isn't it, how we work hard to save the endangered species that we've made endangered? Downright stupid when you think about it. We are a nasty bunch us humans. We cause so much hard to other creatures, and destroy so many things on this planet. Ugh...don't get me started.

      Haha...love that story with the wart hog! Yes, makes me think of Pumba and Timon. I think animals are as curious about us as we are about them!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful portraits of these animals, Martha! And I love the quotes. The first one by Schweitzer is one of my favorites.

    I feel the same way about zoos--I have a hard time seeing the animals there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first quote is fantastic! When we're finally compassionate with all living creatures, only then will we be able to find peace.

      Delete
  11. So many lovely animal, I see some from Australia also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quotes and certainly a most important idea that it is necessary for out survival that the animals survive. Plants would also fit in this equation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, plants, too! The earth needs to maintain its balance in order for every species to thrive!

      Delete
  13. I can tell how much you enjoy the zoo from these! what beautiful pictures ... must have taken quite a bit of patients to get these just right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take patience. But more for the people around you...hahaha... The animals are usually better behaved :)

      Delete
  14. Holy cow, your pictures are absolutely stunning. Really, these are National Geographic worthy.

    We haven't been to our zoo in quite a while, but I hope to go sometime soon. Twin pandas were born there a couple months ago. (Awwwwwwwww!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan; that's very kind! Pandas are adorable, but they tend to sleep most of the day away!

      Delete
  15. Beautiful post and quotes. Your photos are amazing. I go to zoos and take the grandkids. I'm also conflicted. I hate the bars and patron only those zoos that provide a natural (somewhat anyway) environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the animals seem happier than others. I think many of them don't have the space they need.

      Delete
  16. I love all these photos. I feel the same as you do about zoos - I don't enjoy seeing captive animals but I love the fact that zoos do a lot of great work for breeding and saving endangered species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the breeding programs very much! Some animals are heading for extinction and if we can save them, it's a great thing!

      Delete
  17. I love your eye. Number 5, the lizard, it is white! What kind is it? Yes I love lizards too LOL! I like all animals - although pharaoh ants are currently my least favorite. They may do some good but they scare me!

    ;) Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what kind of lizard it is (I'd have to look it up on the zoo's website), but it's so beautiful. It's not really white; the image has been converted to black and white. But even so, it's still a pretty animal.

      Delete