Friday, November 15, 2013

Kids Say The Darndest Things!

I ran across an article that listed “10 Things That Drive Us Nuts About Toddlers

Number seven was titled: “They say what they think”. It stated that “Toddlers have no filter. So if they think it, they say it. Which can make your head explode with embarrassment, especially when they ask loudly on the bus about the person in the next seat, “Mommy, is that a man or a woman?”

Well, let me tell you, I just roared with laughter when I read that because it brought to mind something my younger daughter did many years ago. On a bus, no less. Hilarious when I think about it now. Not so funny at the time.

This happened way back in the year 2000 – one of the many of my single mom years – when my younger daughter was three. I boarded a city bus with my two girls (the older one was eight), and as we walked through, the little one pointed at a woman and excitedly repeated: “Big momma! Big momma! Big momma!”

I looked to see who she was pointing at and saw a woman that looked somewhat like this:

FBI agent Malcolm Turner (actor Martin Lawrence) disguised as a crass Southern granny
known as Big Momma in order to remain incognito in the movie “Big Momma’s House”
I had no idea at the time why my daughter was calling the woman “Big momma” over and over. I just knew that I was extremely embarrassed by her behavior, so I pushed her and her sister along, as far away as I could from the woman that my kid was mocking, and got them seated. The little one got louder and kept pointing and calling out “Big momma!”

When I finally managed to quiet her down, I asked my older child if she had any idea why her sister was saying this. They had spent the weekend with their father, and I thought maybe she’d heard something there and was parroting it.

My older daughter said “I think she’s saying that because of the movie ‘Big Momma’s House’ that we saw with daddy on Saturday. Someone looked like that in the movie and was called Big Momma, and she probably thinks that’s her.”

*blink*

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit.

I still haven't seen the movie.
I hadn't seen the movie ‘Big Momma’s House’, but it had been recently released that year, so I knew of it. And that woman on the bus did indeed look very much like ‘Big Momma’.

I just hoped that the lady on the bus had seen the film. And that she had a very good sense of humour, too.

My two girls many years ago. Once kids start talking, it's all downhill from there.
Have a great weekend, everyone!

38 comments:

  1. LOL oh goodness you must have been terribly embarrassed. I really hope the woman had seen the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very embarrassing then! Now it's a funny story to tell the girls.

      Delete
  2. ... I think one of my sons, under 5 at the time, said something similarly embarrassing at a grocery store. I won't post it here -- it still causes me some angst. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HeeHee! Great story Martha, I'm sure YOU never embarrassed your kids, right? Reminds me of the old Art Linkletter segment, Kids Say the Darnedest Things! Also when I was 5, my mother said that I told the Sunday School teacher that she couldn't sing. Years later my Mom told me I was right, she couldn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moi? Embarrass my kids? Never!

      Hahaha... I bet the Sunday School teacher never forgot that!

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah! LOL!!! You know, when you are Autistic that takes a heck of a lot longer to figure out. I'll admit it... yep. However, my darling son and I still often (though nothing like that, now, thankfully, say the things we think and come right out with it. That isn't always the best thing to do... ... um... nope. Well, we're still working on it. ;-) It's kind of more embarrassing for us than it is for others now, thankfully. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, young children, and autistic individuals are not trying to be rude; they're just stating facts! Or their insight with the world. My daughter truly believed that the woman on the bus was the same individual in the movie. This got her very excited, and she wanted to share that discovery with me. But from the world's perspective (because they had no clue about the underlying reasons), she was extremely rude! Oh well, it makes for a funny story now.

      Delete
  5. oh lol they are so adorable, but hey been there done that from a boy's point of you oh man lol magnificent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to remember that they are so young and don't mean to offend!

      Delete
  6. Hahahahaha, bless 'em all, the little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my, kids do say what they think! That must have been embarrassing. I hope the woman had a good sense of humor/had seen the movie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she never looked at us or said anything, so she was either trying to ignore what was going on, or she never noticed that my daughter was referring to her!

      Delete
  8. what a sweet pic of your daughters! Yes I also remember the embarrassing stuff! So cute when you look back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These stories are a lot of fun when they're in the past! I tell them to the girls and we laughed about them!

      Delete
  9. HaHaHa someday I'll have the nerve to share the many "gems" my four boys pronounced along the way... hint: even THEY are embarrassed by much of it now that they are adults (aged 25, 22, 21 and 19). Sweet revenge *mwaahaahaahaa*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha...yes, sweet revenge! Maybe one day they'll have their own kids and live their own embarrassing (and later hilarious!) experiences.

      Delete
  10. Well I will share this with ya all ! When my oldest son was little about 5 we were in the grocery store in the summer time and he was in the seat of the shopping cart and because it was summer I was wearing a tank top and he pulled the tank top out and yelled Mommies boobies ! Well the store went dead quiet and I... well I just kept on shopping ! Kids will say and do the darnedest things innocence ? more then likely or planned to see what we will do or how we will react lol . Nice photo of your kiddos . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha...oh my...that is funny! Embarrassing, of course, but funny! You just never know what will happen when you're out with your kids. It's always an adventure!

      Delete
  11. P.S We all here say it like it is lol my mum used to call me bucket mouth cause I would be so blunt ans honest and still am lol ! So are our kids ! I just remembered mum told me when I was younger I would blurt out all kinds of stuff and never thought twice about it lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me laughing out loud at that story. Too funny. Kids do say the darndest things.

    Have a great weekend.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are natural comedians! Some of the things my own have said and done make for great stories today.

      Delete
  13. I think every family has at least one of theses stories. When my son was twp, he called me Boy! Many heads were turned for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha...that is funny! I BET that turned a few heads :)

      Delete
  14. I remember moments like that too. Subways and elevators, any place that they had you trapped.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL! I guess the 'filter' comes on board a little later?
    Funny thing Martha, I have noticed that the filter can disappear as we get older.....take my father for instance (97 years)....some of the things he will say things now that he wouldn't a few years ago! He's gone full circle I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the filter certainly does come on board a little later. When they're small like that, they just don't understand yet that we can't just blurt out everything that's on our mind!

      You are probably right about your dad going full circle. But at his age, I'd cut him some slack!

      Delete
  16. Ha ha! You are such a gentle kind soul, I can just see you on the bus, Martha! :) I loved the picture of the two girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite an embarrassing moment, Francie! I laugh about it with the girls today, but back then, not so much :)

      Delete
  17. How funny! I'm sure the woman was aware of Big Momma ... I remember my Mother ... well, she was embarrassed by me until the day she died actually ... but this was once when I was 6 or 7 or whatever ... a woman told us that she was off to see her Mother ... and I said ... You're too old to have a Mother!

    ha? I got a bit of a lecture but she did have to stifle a smile...

    Art Llinkletter's show ... Kids Say the Darndest Things... was hilarious... you're too young to remember that! what fun

    My son just did stuff like throw apples down the grocery store aisle... M'am? yes. is this your son... never saw him before ... MOM ..... jeeeeeez

    I don't know how he saw the top of the apple table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I'm laughing with the grocery store story. I can just imagine you saying that! Hahaha... You must have been a fun mom!

      Delete