Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Fond Farewell To 2013

“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson -

What can I say about this year that’s come to an end? That it had its fair share of tragedies and ugliness? That we still have a long way to go before peace and goodwill are not just words that we simply pay lip service to? That my faith in humanity is shattered repeatedly?

I could say all that, but I won’t. The world can feel quite burdensome to a soul that aches for the end of all troubles, so instead of focusing on what’s wrong in this world, I will focus on what’s right.


Gloom and doom sells in the news, and that’s all we ever hear about. But despite the fact that the media tries to convince us otherwise, we are, in truth, making tremendous advances, and the world is getting better.


As I bid farewell to 2013, I feel optimistic. Joyful. At peace. And certainly grateful. It’s been a good year. A year of contemplation and inner growth. A year of love and adventure and tranquility. And like every year that passes, I have been given another opportunity to become more familiar and more comfortable with myself. To better myself. I am thankful for this.

I pledge to be the best person I can be in 2014. To respect the world I live in, to be compassionate and kind to all living beings, and to continue to approach life with enthusiasm and gratitude.


A New Year dawns tomorrow, and we are given an opportunity to make it the best one yet. Let’s not just hope or dream of a better world. Let’s make it one.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Here is a powerful video depicting the beautiful highs and devastating lows of 2013.


34 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Martha. I wish you great gardening, great blogging and lots of laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a profound video, and a realistic post, looking toward 2014! It's kind of how I feel, life is not easy, or trivial, but it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is worth; enjoy every minute you have. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. I love that quote by Brad Paisley. Happy New Year Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, girl! Keep on being fun and enthusiastic!

      Delete
  4. Good post Martha. During the video I got teary eyed, because I am a big old baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you and your family all the best in 2014! Your special banner makes it look like your blog is having a party (which it is)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta spice things up around here for the New Year to kick in right. Happy New Year, Debra! I hope 2014 is good to you!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Martha!! I love visiting your blog as it is always inspiring and uplifting. Thank you and here's to the blank pages of 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy, and happy New Year! It does my heart good that you are here to welcome another year.

      Delete
  7. I feel optimistic too, Martha … I have gotten most of the negative people out of my life … ones who will find the bad in everything … talk talk talk talk talk about all that's wrong with EVERYTHING and EVERYONE … but do nothing but talk.

    drives me insane and I have no patience … nary a drop any longer. I have always been the type to speak my mind and it's getting worse! I am just sick and tired of negativity … fix what you're griping about ~ quit badmouthing and doomsdaying everything. jeeeeez almighty I'm sick of that mindset.

    Absolutely … "continue to approach life with enthusiasm and gratitude" … right on, Martha!

    powerful video … somehow this ol world keeps on keeping on ~ we the people are resilient rascals…

    Happy New Year, Martha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of good people in it, Carolyn, and as I get older, I focus on them. I've also gotten rid of toxic people, and I am so much happier that way. Just be with the ones you love, the ones that give you joy. Life is too short for nonsense. Happy New Year, Carolyn! I hope it's a beautiful one for you.

      Delete
  8. Where did the year go?? Happy 2014 Martha! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time just zips right by; enjoy every minute of it. All the best for 2014!

      Delete
  9. how wonderfully said my friend .... or as my favorite Gandhi quote goes "be the change you want to see in the world" ... good words to live by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote! Words of wisdom from a great man.

      Delete
  10. Martha, you did my heart good today. I love you, dear one.


    ✦✧✦╗╔╔╗╔╗╔╗╗╔─╔╗╔╗╗╦╔─╗╔╔╗╔╗╔╗║✧✦✧
    ✧✦✧╠╣╠╣╠╝╠╝╚╣─║║╠╝║║║─╚╣╠╝╠╣║─║✦✧✦
    ✦✧✦╝╚╩╩╩─╩─╚╝─╝╚╚╝╚╩╝─╚╝╚╝╩╩╩─═✧✦✧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...you are sweet, Birdie! Hang in there, girl. Things will get better. xoxoxo Happy New Year!

      Delete
  11. Well said. You've given me lots to think about. Yes, lets keep our mind on improving the world not just on New years day but the next 364 days.
    happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Red! Together we can make big changes.

      Delete
  12. ✰¸¸Happy ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸✰¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪New¸¸✰¸¸ Year
    2014•*¨*•.¸¸✰¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Peace ♫♪ JOY ♫♪ and a ✰¸¸ Healthy Year ahead☆☆☆A♪♫•*¨*•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Sophie, you beautiful doodle. I hope it's another wonderful year for you, full of adventure and photos! Lots and lots of photos! Make sure to wish those two guys with camera my best :)

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the thoughtful words, as the page turns to a new year.
    Have a great one, Martha.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn! I hope it's a beautiful year for you. Keep on keeping us smiling :)

      Delete
  14. Truer words could not be spoken!! I still remember the morning when I saw, you have joined my site in my blog. You were my first reader and I became the reader of your blogs ever since. I wish you too a lovely year ahead, full of fun and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chirasree! You have a lovely blog, and I hope to see more posts in 2014!

      Delete
  15. You are a truly wonderful giving human being Martha, and I thank the Universe for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! I wish you a beautiful 2014!

      Delete