Thursday, December 12, 2013

It’s Hard To Be A Cat At Christmas

When we were putting up our Christmas tree on the weekend, I noticed that the piece where you insert a hook through to be able to hang it was broken on one of our ornaments. I placed it in a basket full of pine cones with the intention of throwing it out later that evening, and promptly forget about it. For days. I noticed the defective ornament yesterday, and rather than throw it out, I decided to give it to my cats to play with. It’s round, it bounces, it makes enough noise to arouse curiosity, and it’s plastic, so there’s no danger to my four-pawed girls.

Were the cats overjoyed? Did they slap the ornament around the house? Chase it? Pounce on it? Enjoy it? Exhaust themselves from playing with it. No. No. No. No. No. And no.


When I presented it to them, they stared at it for awhile, and then looked at me suspiciously. They were probably thinking it’s a trap. Because every Christmas it’s the same thing. When we first bring out the decorations, the cats are all excited thinking they’ll be getting new toys to play with. Until the “don’t touch that!”, “leave it alone!”, “shoooooo!”, “stop that!”, “get away from there!” and “how many times must I tell you…!” scoldings begin. They have no idea what I’m saying, but they do get that the reprimands begin when paws and ornaments come together. So they stay away from them.

And here I am telling them to go ahead and play with what they’re not allowed to touch. Oh, the confusion...

It’s really tough being a cat at Christmas! The celebrity felines in the video below will tell you just that.                                                   



A lovely day, to all!

26 comments:

  1. Man, that Colonel Meow is one mean looking dude! Love that video! And yes, you're sending mixed messages to your poor confused cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd only seen Colonel Meow in photos; this is the first view of him in a video. He's a pretty 'serious' looking cat.

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful I love it so, can't hear a thing i've even made sure the sounds was on as high as 16 and it's i can't hear a thing, but I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's too bad, Lorraine. But even without sound, it's a cute video.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this video, Martha. You sure know how to find them out there. Loved it! We hang all the breakable ornaments up high and leave all the dangly, plastic ones on the bottom for our cat to play with. He's older now so we don't have to tie the tree to the curtain rod anymore but when he was younger we always did so that he could "play". Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what we do...tie the tree to the curtain rod! The cats are still very young, and we are concerned that they'll topple it. I haven't caught either one climbing the tree - yet - but I wouldn't trust that they'll never do it.

      Glad you enjoyed the video. This time of year I run across so many wonderful festive things like that, and I love to share them.

      Delete
  4. Loved the video soo cute ! Our Harley has never played with the tree or ornaments she just likes to lay under it and nap lol . Our Miggs did when she was a pup to but now Miggs is to big lol . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it all depends on the critter. The cats I have now are pretty calm; they don't really do any damage. I've had cats in the past that have being a lot crazier!

      Delete
  5. Poor kitties! They don't know what to do with the new "toy." :-) Our kitty has not gotten into the tree at all. He never has before, but in past years, he didn't have full run of the house 24/7. So we were thinking he'd be more interested in it this year. But he's not. Which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cats are too smart. I bet yours just wanted cold, hard cash.

    Be well, Martha.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, that video totally put a smile on my face. Thank you for sharing.

    Norbert aka the Ungrateful Bastard loves Christmas. It is his favourite time of year because the old advent calender comes out and he comes running at top speed from one end of the house and knocks all the decorations off. The calender is a family heirloom but all the pieces are bit and chewed. And there are actually only 23 decorations because he made the other two "disappear".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably counts the days until you take it out. Cats can be sneaky like that :)

      I'm glad this put a smile on your face, Birdie!

      Delete
  8. I know one thing, cats love christmas trees

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to have a pup that would curl under the Christmas tree on her little Christmas pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the video, Martha.
    Oh, I so miss my cat Smokey.

    See you next year.
    Have a wonderful Christmas.
    Was so nice to connect with you this year.

    Margie
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see you here, Margie! And yes, it's been really nice connecting with you!

      Merry Christmas to you. See you in 2014 :)

      Delete
  11. For the good of all Cat KInd… HAHaaaaa … love the video … rascal rabbits!

    I made a bed for one cat so she wouldn't lay around in my chair then sharpen her claws! I got a too little box and put my son's old t-shirts … I knew not to introduce her to it… because if I did … she'd never go near it.

    It took a day before she sauntered over and now? that's her home… I tell ya! cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...that is funny. I think they don't want to be told what to do, but rather act as if it was their decision. They are funny like that the little buggers!

      Delete
  12. Me and the Chedster loved this post! The first photo is best of all, so cute. Stopping by via Lorraine's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Drop by any time :)

      Delete