Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Canada Day Parade

"Canadian pride may not rest on our sleeves, but it resides deeply in our hearts."
- Steve Miller -

We may be quiet, and we may be polite, but we are not short on pride. Pride for this amazing country we live in. And that was clearly seen yesterday during the Canada Day parade we attended in Bath, Ontario; a small town just a short drive west of our home. Bath dates back to the American Revolution making it one of the oldest communities in Ontario. It was first settled by the United Empire Loyalists in 1784, and was once a prosperous point of trade. The village was originally named Ernestown, but was renamed Bath in 1819 after the city in England.

We have visited Bath a number of times, and with a population of about 1,000, it’s typically very quiet. But not yesterday. Yesterday it was packed with visitors, and buzzing with excitement.

Here are some photos from the parade:

Great play on words, don't you think?

Here comes the cavalry.

Can't have a parade without some instruments.

A young Canuck waving to the crowd.

Best job to have in the parade!

You can't have a Canadian parade without bagpipes.

I admire people who can play this instrument. I imagine it's difficult to learn.

This young man takes this job very seriously.

The fire department's volunteers seem awfully young.

A parade without a tractor? Not in this town.

A proud Canadian sporting a really cool hat.

There were army jeeps and trucks, as well.

The dancers and bagpipe players.

One of the youngest and cutest participants in the parade. Read the sign next to him. It'll make you laugh.

Mama Canuck and her little baby Canucks.

More bagpipe players. I didn't realize there were so many! Maybe I should learn? Nah...

More musicians passing through. 
Now that's a big instrument!

A very worthy organization.

Little Canucks with lots of Canuck pride!

I’m so proud to be a part of this magnificent country!

Have a beautiful day, everyone.

34 comments:

  1. Wonderful parade!! You caught some wonderful moments and people Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the people that make this day extraordinary. I wanted to take more photos, but it was so hot and humid that eventually we needed to go home. Still. It was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Even though I've never been to Canada, I love it!! I consider them our closest friends and I cannot wait to visit there someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, Keith. I have family and friends in the US, and I've visited numerous times. I'm so happy to have you as a neighbour. Hopefully you do visit one day!

      Delete
  3. Great photos! The more pipe bands, the better! I love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first photo brought real laughter at our house. Looks like a fun parade with everyone having a good time, but Americans view Red Coats somewhat differently. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've no doubt those red coats have a different meaning :)

      I laughed out loud when I saw the play on words with the bath tub! That is very cool.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you and lots of others had a great time ! Wonderful photos ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did, Country Gal. It was a wonderful Canada Day!

      Delete
  6. I love a good parade. You got some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parades are always fun, but never easy to photograph. In addition to trying to find a good spot to shoot from, you also have to deal with the type of day it is/and time (midday sun is always the worst!), and people getting in the way. It's certainly a bit of a challenge, but well worth it!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful, Martha! This did my heart good. I love local parades! And I so miss the pipe bands! Here we're into marching bands, but there is nothing like the skirl of the bagpipes. Loved, loved the Guinness driver! Kids are such beautiful souls! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise. I imagine you are quite homesick this time of year. But tomorrow will be a celebration for you!

      Delete
  8. Hi Martha,

    How's it goin', eh? :) Got to love a parade. This brings back memories for me. Superb photos that truly capture an essence of Canada. Happy belated Canada Day, eh.

    Gary, a Canadian sorting out the English. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gary! I had no idea you were a fellow, Canuck! Good stuff :)

      Delete
  9. Looks like a killer fun time. And yes, killer photos, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a wonderful parade, thanks for the photos! When you said 'pride' there for a minute I thought you were referring to all the pride week (LGBT) celebrations last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have so many things to be proud of here, Christine, so pride can be attributed to many things!

      Delete
  11. No wonder you go to bath on Canada Day. They have a blast. We do live in a coll country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's a very cool country! So happy to be a part of it!

      Delete
  12. Bagpipes! I will hear them until my last breath. My daughter dances Highland and I have heard enough bagpipes to last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl, I'm so glad to see you here! You're at a new location? I'm going to have to check it out!

      Delete
  13. hooray for Canada ... our sane neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy seeing pictures of events of various countries. I loved the snap of the cutest and the youngest participant of the parade. I would love to visit Canada one day. You know something, whenever I hear about Canada, I instantly remember you. You are a lovely friend of mine from a beautiful country. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chirasree! That is very, VERY sweet and kind. I think of you as a friend, too :)

      Delete
  15. Great photos! Sounds like you had a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'Small town' parades do it much better than 'big city' ones, I think. They capture the essence of community.
    Nicely done, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jim. And they take care of each other. I couldn't live in a really small area, but I do enjoy visiting.

      Delete