Thursday, July 3, 2014

Photo Dump

“Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase.”
- Percy W. Harris -

If you are interested in improving your photography skills, don’t go out and spend a load of money on gizmos and gadgets. It won’t make a difference. Instead, get to know your camera. Learn what all the dials and buttons do. Take control of it and get off auto shooting. Read some books or online articles about the three basic elements of photography (aperture, shutter, ISO), and find out how they all work together. Take a course. Study other people’s photographs and ask yourself what you like about them. Or don’t like. Learn some basic rules (I think of them as guidelines) of composition and apply them in your images. In time, you will begin to ‘see’ not just look, which is essential to growth in photography.

But above all else, practice, practice...and practice some more. The more you do that, the better you will get.

A few weeks ago, I took another three-day photography course, and the images below were taken on a photo shoot we attended. To practice, practice...and practice some more.

Wood, greenery, and a chain...living happily together.

So much beautiful greenery.

Suds in the water.

Headed out to sea. Um...maybe not.

Boats pass below, and trains pass above.

Chained down.

No matter how many times I visit this area (Kingston Mills), there is always something to see.

It makes it so much easier when they pose for the camera.

An egg yolk in the water. Imagine that.

A very serene setting.


Happy Thursday, everyone!

29 comments:

  1. The "suds in the water" and the "egg yolk in the water" shots are inspired! And yeah -- an egg yolk in the water -- WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots Martha! I also believe, however, that some people have an eye for composition and detail and others do not. You have to notice things first and then capture them in an accurate but artistic way. You do it in spades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is really kind. But I do believe that my improvement has come over time. You are right about some people having an eye for composition, but even the ones who don't can improve in leaps and bounds with some basic knowledge and lots of practice!

      Delete
  3. Fine collection of photos. Love the abstract quality of the suds in the water, and the "egg in the water". I thought that one was more of a spiral galaxy. Looks like you are having a great time with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure am having a great time. If I ever stop having a great time, it'll be time to put away the camera!

      Delete
  4. Yep, you gotta practice, practice and practice some more to be a better photographer. Love your "suds in the water" shot and also the pic of the blue heron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about, Linda!

      Delete
  5. thanks for that tidbit on photography. that is a hobby that i have always wanted to do but thought way to damn expensive for my taste. my daughter has a camera that i bought her for her birthday several years ago that i can use. she uses her phone camera now for everything. the third pic is stunning! suds in water? i had no idea when i looked at it what it was, i just knew that i REALLY liked it. great pics and bit-o-wisdom. cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be an expensive hobby if you load up on gear, but that won't improve your skills. The best thing to do is work with the camera you have. Get to know it technically, and practice to improve your artistic skills. And if you don't have a camera, start with something inexpensive. I've run across some amazing photos, and the gear people have used has been pretty basic.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love all your photo dumps always, gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  8. ditto what Lorraine just said ... love looking at your stuff ;) and I'll say it again... you're quite the artist ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn! If I ever get a chance to visit you and your gang, I will snap a gazillion photos!

      Delete
  9. that course has done you good, stunning photos today, just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see that practice really does pay off, Martha. These are beautiful!
    I love the egg yolk in water....looks like the eye of a hurricane. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that egg yolk in the water was pretty cool when I saw it. But I didn't think much of the photo when I first unloaded it onto my computer, but after pulling it up in my photo editor, I found it quite fascinating. It's amazing what you'll notice when you start to really 'see' what's around you.

      Delete
  11. Automatics don't really teach us much. Thanks for the pointers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really don't. Some do take great pictures, but not always.

      Delete
  12. Getting to know the camera. So important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very important. It's much better to be in the driver's seat!

      Delete
  13. Lovely. I've been reading your posts but haven't commented much. Still around and enjoying your photography. I especially love the bird--the name escapes me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. The bird is a herron; a very common sight around here. I love photographing them.

      Delete
  14. You take such great photos, Martha! I really do need to learn more about all the settings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise. I think you'll enjoy taking photos even more once you get to know the settings quite well.

      Delete
  15. I bet it's noisy when a train and boat travel right next to each other

    ReplyDelete