Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Bikes and Sights: Our First Ride

As my regular blog visitors know, our passion this summer has been exploring our small city, neighbouring towns, big cities, parks, conservation areas, off-road trails, abandoned sites and everything in-between while riding our bikes. This mode of transportation has introduced a whole new world to us. We've discovered places we didn't know existed, seen things we never would have seen otherwise and traveled greater distances than our walks could ever possibly take us.

On all these mini adventures I hang a point and shoot camera around my neck, and snap photos when I see something eye-catching, unusual or amusing. Because we have visited many places, and covered a lot of ground, the pictures are piling up. I’d like to start sharing some of them with you; invite you to come along with us, so you can see the things we've seen, and visit the places we've been to. I hope you enjoy this new blog theme.

Let’s get to it with our very first bike ride...

Our first bike ride was on the K&P Trail, which I wrote about here.

It fascinates me how nature will sprout anywhere. This little bloom is growing through a small crack in the sidewalk.

It doesn't take much to grab my attention. Even a hole in the sidewalk with rocks in it is interesting to me.

What we saw when we looked over a bridge crossing a marsh.

We exited the trail we were on to visit the Cataraqui cemetery nearby, which is quite beautiful.

The pond was full of lily pads.

Do you like lily pads? I find them fascinating.

I especially love when they are in bloom.

You always run across these adorable critters when you walk around the pond.

When we left the cemetery to return to the trail, I noticed this spooky, abandoned place.
Wouldn't this be a cool haunted house attraction on Halloween? Oh, yeah...

Have a wonderful Tuesday, everyone
(Pouring rain today, so no biking adventures!)


26 comments:

  1. You two remind me of Beate and I :) we love exploring nature and we love riding bikes! I love that frog picture. Happy exploring! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you and Beate remind me of us :) All four of us are similar in our love of the simple things in life!

      Delete
  2. I love water lilies in bloom too. You have an affinity for frogs, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You intrepid traveller, you!

    That little frog is soooo cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love visiting different places and discovering new things. It's always fun. I love frogs. I think they're so darn cute.

      Delete
  4. Keep on biking and sharing your wonderful shots ...
    I loved all of these, I love lily pads ... and that frog ... adorable
    Smiles, I am off now to get ready to see Rod Stewart and Santana in concert ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lots of fun, Margie! I hope you had a great time. I've seen Rod Stewart in concert...about 22 years ago! I was pregnant with my first daughter when I went to that concert, so that was her first one, as well :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely photo of the flower that sprouted between the cracks! It is amazing how plants can grow in the most unexpected places. We have some of the same variety growing near where I live. Also enjoyed the photo of the frog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plants are amazing. They will find the tiniest crack and POOF up they go. All that's needed is the hint of some light.

      Delete
  6. I'll look at this again tomorrow but sweetie if you have a chance please visit me google have stolen my photos so i put up an whole bunch on my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check out all the links I have with you, Lorraine! Don't worry...

      Delete
  7. Am going to really like this new theme, Martha! Great photos.....liked that 'from the bridge' one and the frog one, and the hole in the sidewalk.
    On bikes too! You two will be if not already, fit as a fiddle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of our photos this summer happened while biking, and I'd like to share some with all of you. You'll get to see some interesting things and places we've visited. At least they were interesting to me! LOL...

      The biking has done us both some good. Fresh air, new places to explore and lots of exercise!

      Delete
  8. thanks for taking us on this delightful bike ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along, Christine! I will share more photos in future posts.

      Delete
  9. I completely agree with the bike getting you places you would not go to otherwise. You see and hear more . By the way, I have to go on my bike ride right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a great ride, Red! Yes, we see and hear much more when we're biking. It's been a lot of fun.

      Delete
  10. Yesterday I was in such a panic that google stole all my photos, that I didn't enjoy I don't care anymore what they do i have friends to visit that are worth my time I love all your photos they are wonderful i feel like i was there along withyou and the most wonderful man in the world, can you find out for me if i could just move into that house falling apart, 'cause \i would you know....beautiful you always cheer me up...I don't have a bike, just a car but i know where the beauty is...thank you for sharing always brings a smile to my eyes, no matter what, thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! I enjoy sharing photos and taking everyone along to the places we visit. And I enjoy looking at photos my bloggers share for the same reasons. Don't fret too much about Google. I'm sure things will straighten out.

      Delete
  11. I love that you not only bike ride but create art too. Both are amazing on their own, so neat that you can do them together. Love that frog photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. And I have to say: thank goodness for compact cameras! I hang one around my neck and am able to shoot photos while biking.

      Delete
  12. I see your honey bunny's butt. Nenner, nenner, nenner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Well, he always does that to me, so I figured it's my turn!

      Delete